Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dunno - Which hardware recommend the Dolphin Developers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

inukaze

Hi there i want to ask directly to Developers of Dolphin-emu

Which hardware is the best for emulate perfectly the games in "Perfect" state of Gamecube, Wii, VirtualConsole, Wiiware. on a personal computer of a Linux Users, just want to use "Software Libre" and use an ATI/AMD GPU for emulate using Dolphin-emu ?

Which hardware recommend the developers for a no-windows user ?
Same for a Windows user. Taxing games emulated on Windows will also be taxing when emulated in Linux. Or Mac OS X.

Any Haswell-class chip and a moderately modern/powerful GPU (GTX 750Ti and above) will do. Maybe also 16 GB of RAM or more if you´re planning to use HD texture packs with the "Prefetch" feature.
I don't know why you want to ask this of developers, since in general devs don't like responding to user info requests like this. But alright, I'll talk about the absolute best for Dolphin then.

Do not take this as a recommendation:
But for something sane, any Intel Coffee Lake or Ryzen 3 chip of 4+ cores, with adequate cooling, is going to do very well for Dolphin. Decent cooling with a casual overclock can be a nice boost if you want to do it. And any modern mid-range or higher GPU, AMD or Nvidia, will handle Dolphin with async ubershaders at 4k internal resolution just fine! (assuming sane AA)
I have been using an Intel i5-8600k and Nvidia GTX 1070 for the past year. And it works perfectly for Dolphin, as in each game that I have in my library can maintain fullspeed at all times. And that on a 4K resolution.

Through I must be careful with Ubershaders and Anti-Aliasing, and other over the top enhancements. But texture packs and enhancement AR / Gecko codes (widescreen, draw distance, FPS) haven't been an issue so far. If you have at least 16 GB of RAM you can prefetch most of the texture packs out there as well.

Previously, I used to had an Intel i5-4430 and Nvidia GTX 660 and both of them did very well as well. Maintaining fullspeed at 1080p wasn't really an issue. Most of the time. The bigger games such as The Last Story tended to be quite the issue, but Dolphin has quite advanced over the years making emulation on easier on my hardware. I remember that I used to had severe performance issues with Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door several years ago, until Dolphin came around with the new improved HLE Audio. LLE Audio was quite demanding and back then mostly mandatory for proper audio. Thanks to other improvements such as the addition of Vulkan emulation became only more solid over the years.

I suppose for most modern / recent mainstream gaming PC's they wouldn't have an issue with running Dolphin. I am mostly referring to recent Intel i5 processors, not the i7 or even i9 series. An Intel i9-9900K would undoubtedly run perfectly, but way too much overkill.