Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Ryzen + Radeon For Taxing Titles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello.

I've been looking at some PC builds I might be able to buy in the near future, and I came across this. It's not final yet, but I think that it's a great build for its price point ($900 CAD). Here are the specs:

Ryzen 5 3600
Radeon RX 580
16GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM (DDR4-3000)

As for the goal, I'm looking to play titles such as Trauma Team, Super Mario Galaxy, The Last Story, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Ikenie no Yoru (Night of Sacrifice), Zelda and similarly taxing titles. My target is 1080p, 144FPS, with 4x MSAA. How would this build fare? Do you think I need to make adjustments?

Thank you.
Quote:As for the goal, I'm looking to play titles such as Trauma Team, Super Mario Galaxy, The Last Story, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Ikenie no Yoru (Night of Sacrifice), Zelda and similarly taxing titles. My target is 1080p, 144FPS, with 4x MSAA. How would this build fare? Do you think I need to make adjustments?

It's been a while, but as I recall, from that list only The Last Story is particularly demanding. Maybe also count Twilight Princess for the Hyrule Field slowdown, but that has a workaround and doesn't need a beastly machine.

Additionally, unlike PC games, Gamecube and Wii games are almost always limited to a particular frame rate. Generally it's 60 or 30 for NTSC or PAL60 games, and 50 or 25 for PAL games. There really isn't a viable way to force most games to unlock their frame rates.

Anyway, to answer your question, that hardware will do just fine for what you want. 1080p won't even stress that GPU, much less adding 4x MSAA. As far as AA goes, you may as well crank it up all the way since MSAA isn't nearly as demanding as something like SSAA. The CPU is solid and shouldn't hold you back in Dolphin.

So, in short, looks good to me.
If you get a good deal on DDR4-3600, i'd recommend getting that instead. Ryzen 3000 cpus are supposed to scale quite a bit with RAM speeds, up to 3733 (i think). But don't expect too much from faster RAM, from the benchmarks i have seen, i'd say you get up to 5% more speed from 3600 vs 3000 RAM speed.