Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is my old Lenovo Y410p enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Phobiarg

I have an old Lenovo Y410p with an i7-4700MQ and a GT 750m. I've been wanting to make a emulator box and rather than trying to make one with a Pi4 and not being able to play the newer console games I thought I might be able to dust off my old laptop and give that a go. Ill need to buy a HDD for it before I start which is why I wanted to check before wasting money on it. I know the GPU isn't even close to good anymore but is it enough for things like Wii Sports and the Wii Zelda games? Id need at least 30 fps to enjoy the experience.
The GT750M should actually do well enough in Dolphin. You should get 2x IR (i.e. 720p) in most games. The CPU okay, given its architecture (Haswell) and base speed (2.4GHz). Thermal throttling is always going to be an issue with a laptop like that, so I wouldn't rely on the turbo boost speeds for consistent performance. Anyway, that should be enough for most non-demanding games. I can't speak about Wii Sports; but you should be alright for Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. IIRC, there's still slowdown in Hyrule Field for Twilight Princess, so check out the wiki for a workaround.

Phobiarg Wrote:Id need at least 30 fps to enjoy the experience.

If Dolphin only runs at 30 FPS for a 60 FPS game, the game speed is 50%. Unlike many modern PC games, where the framerate is not directly tied to the speed of the game, it's the opposite in Dolphin, for the most part. So in that case, it'd be slow-motion instead of running a 100% with just half the frames. Although, to be fair, when I first started messing around with Dolphin, I played many games at 50% speed before I upgraded.
I had that laptop awhile ago. Runs fine at 1080p for most stuff. Make it use the nvidia GPU.