Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: A strange thing I found with the GCN bios
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Develon5543

Hey guys. I found out something kind of strange but helpful. I was trying to run Wind Waker, but found that my VPS was staying around 40-45. So basically, my performance was pretty bad. But I was playing around with the Gamecube bios and found that when I changed from no disk to Wind Waker, my FPS locked at 30 and my VPS locked at 60. So for some reason, starting Wind Waker through the bios and not from the main screen ended up helping me. Just wanted to share I guess lol.
This is because Dolphin doesn't apply the game-specific settings for Wind Waker if you do that (meaning that it won't automatically disable Skip EFB Access from CPU and EFB Copies from Texture Only), making it go faster in exchange for breaking features like the Pictobox. You can get the same result by manually changing those settings once the game is running.

Develon5543

(07-15-2019, 08:14 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]This is because Dolphin doesn't apply the game-specific settings for Wind Waker if you do that (meaning that it won't automatically disable Skip EFB Access from CPU and EFB Copies from Texture Only), making it go faster in exchange for breaking features like the Pictobox. You can get the same result by manually changing those settings once the game is running.

Oh very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Just remeber to change the settings back before taking a picture, or else the game will crash.