Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Could you help me with the hardware for an Arcade/Dolphin build?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(07-09-2019, 05:33 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Is rogue squadron even playable currently in dolphin? It's been broken on and off for ages. Seems dumb to base your build off that.

Of course Rogue Squadron is currently broken. In fact, I absolutely know that I'm not going to expect smooth FPS on day one. Plus, the game crashes quite often on some occasions, even when I'm currently using the legacy Dolphine build. But I still need to taken into account on which software I'm going to be using for my new build, not just emulated software. No matter which emulated software we use, I don't expect precise accuracy that can easily be replicated on a real home console.

Gardenmine

(07-09-2019, 10:58 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to jump in real quick and mention two things:

At least for GameCube games, is there a reason you cannot use your Wii?  I mean, unlike the Wii U which can only run GameCube games after a soft-mod, the Wii even officially supports GameCube games and requires no soft-modding whatsoever (though the models without a GameCube port require softmodding anyway just for controller support whether via Devolution or Nintendont, and the Wii mini is a complete no-go since it not only lacks controller ports but also can't be softmodded).

As for an AM4 motherboard for use with 3rd gen Ryzen, I would highly suggest getting a motherboard with USB BIOS flashback (lets you update the BIOS without a CPU installed) in order to avoid the issue of a motherboard coming with an outdated BIOS and making it difficult to boot with a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU.

It's a good question and I understand.
Ok, let me say that being in the process of building a 4 players arcade cabinet, the main goal was to fit inside as many old consoles as possible.
But keeping an eye on the budget. 
I already removed the idea of a Rasp Pi3 because of issues related on some games for N64 and Dreamcast. 
Unluckly i'm not finding anything used worth (or reliable) for less than 150 bucks. 
Said that, thinking to solve this, I put the target to max PS2 and GC with 300€ budget.
Maybe once completed i can post some pictures here if you're interested.

Going for 3rd gen Ryzen, the motherboard will increase in cost for sure.
But i appreciated that you guys spent time searching a good price on internet.
(07-10-2019, 05:25 AM)Gardenmine Wrote: [ -> ]It's a good question and I understand.
Ok, let me say that being in the process of building a 4 players arcade cabinet, the main goal was to fit inside as many old consoles as possible.
But keeping an eye on the budget. 
I already removed the idea of a Rasp Pi3 because of issues related on some games for N64 and Dreamcast. 
Unluckly i'm not finding anything used worth (or reliable) for less than 150 bucks. 
Said that, thinking to solve this, I put the target to max PS2 and GC with 300€ budget.
Maybe once completed i can post some pictures here if you're interested.

Going for 3rd gen Ryzen, the motherboard will increase in cost for sure.
But i appreciated that you guys spent time searching a good price on internet.

If you're not needing pcie4 (which is unlikely, as even at the highest-end games don't really care for now, and if you have other usecases that need it you probably already know) or a massively-overpowered watercooling/ln2-level overclocking VRM*, just get a previous generation am4 board like a b450. Might have issues with ensuring the bios is up to date, or get one with flashback so you can ensure it's got the latest version before it can boot.

[*] It's a bit of a trend to talk about VRM "quality", but at the end of the day anything but a 'terrible' VRM will work fine outside of extreme-overclocking scenarios - especially if you're not using the highest-powered (highest-cost) sku.
(07-10-2019, 08:14 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]or get one with flashback so you can ensure it's got the latest version before it can boot

One thing I'd like to add to this - it's come to my attention that MSI decided to be weird and requires the user to first update to the March 2019 BIOS before the user is able to correctly install the newest June/July 2019 BIOS (for example, on the Tomahawk that'd be v17 and v18 as mentioned in the link), otherwise the PC still won't boot and you have to do the BIOS flashback process again.

...which is kind of unfortunate considering that it's MSI that has the widest abundance of B450 motherboards that support flashback.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Nevertheless, the product pages for the MSI B450-A Pro Max and B450 Tomahawk Max have been recently posted, so it's quite possible that they'll see a release soon:
For reference, they're basically identical to the normal non-MAx B450-A Pro and Tomahawk boards but with guaranteed out-of-the-box support for 3rd gen Ryzen as well as overall better BIOS support in general for 3rd gen Ryzen.

So if you were planning to purchase either motherboard, hen you might as well for the Max version instead if it isn't particularly different in price.

(and to clarify, the B450-A Pro is essentially a less expensive Tomahawk without RGB nor USB type-C).
Pages: 1 2