Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Linux] Failed to initialize video backend!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I load a game an error message appears saying...

Code:
Warning

Failed to initialize video backend!

I even tried to change the Graphics settings but nothing seems to work. For whatever reason I have no options for Adapters in the Graphics Settings.
You need to provide more information like hardware, operating system, etc or nobody can help you.
Linux Mint 19.1
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240-M
Intel i7 1.73GHz
4GB RAM
What drivers are you using for the GT 240-M? Open source ones or Nvidia's closed source ones? If using the open sourced ones, switch to Nvidia's and see if that clears up anything.
(07-01-2019, 12:52 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]What drivers are you using for the GT 240-M? Open source ones or Nvidia's closed source ones? If using the open sourced ones, switch to Nvidia's and see if that clears up anything.

I was using the closed source drivers but I tried the open source drivers and now the game will launch.

Are the closed source drivers better for Linux gaming in general? The reason I chose the close source drivers are for better graphic support.
Huh, I would have expected the opposite situation to happen...

Generally, the open-source drivers for Nvidia are good for everyday use from what I understand, stuff like just running a desktop environment with special effects and whatever daily work tasks you do, but if you want to do any amount of serious gaming, you go with Nvidia's closed-source drivers. That the closed source ones fail to initialize any backend defies my expectations, so I guess I'm at a loss unfortunately.

If you can play games at reasonable speeds using the open-source drivers, go for it. If that solves your problem, I see no reason to try forcing the closed-source ones to play nice unless you really want to try out Vulkan.