Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Question about reporting bugs or abnormalities
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If I see something in a game that I think might be abnormal, how should I go about reporting that? Is it worth reporting everything weird I see? If so, what is the least annoying way for me to report them. I've seen a few weird things in the games I've played recently and just wanted to know how to report them.
(06-23-2019, 05:26 PM)RagingFire Wrote: [ -> ]If I see something in a game that I think might be abnormal, how should I go about reporting that? Is it worth reporting everything weird I see? If so, what is the least annoying way for me to report them. I've seen a few weird things in the games I've played recently and just wanted to know how to report them.

Before you make a bug report on every strange thing you see:
1. Search the forums / Bug-tracker / Google for the issue
2. Set Dolphin back to it's default settings
    1. create a new folder
    2. download and extract the latest development version into that folder
    3. create an empty portable.txt next to the new dolphin.exe 
    4. don't touch anything except for the controls and the path to your games 
    5. try to reproduce.

If you can still reproduce the issue, THEN make a bug report. In the bug report the most important thing is:
1. What are the EXACT steps to reproduce the issue: create a savefile / state just before the issue occurs and explain how to reproduce it.
2. Bisect when the issue started happening
    Does it happen in 5.0 stable? if yes... you're done; if no: go to the middle of the working build and the latest dev build and try the middle build: does it work? yes: go to the middle of working build and latest devbuild and try again; if no: go between 5.0 and middle build... rinse repeat until you narrow it down to 1 or 2 devbuilds.

that part is very important because it will narrow down which commit created the issue and make it easier for the dev's to fix the bug.