Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin End of stable version?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Pee wee

Hi!

I am a new member and I would hope forward to learn from each one of you. Pls, when can we to see stable version? Without seeking to be unkind and without any intention of offending anyone; with respect, but I would like to give my opinion: it's been over a century & not at all (since the last 5.0). Hearing the same "Gits" almost every day gets tiresome. It is a pity. There are no more "stable release" ?

Thanks & kind regards.
You don't really need the Stable builds.

Use the Development builds instead. Dolphin has an internal auto-updater (after some while after the Stable 5.0 release) so you can stay updated on the latest of features and fixes. The development builds tend to be updated on a daily basis. The latest Development build as of now is 5.0-10515.

You don't really want the next Stable build, meaning a Feature Freeze will be put into place to prepare for what's next (likely be dubbed 6.0)?. Feature Freezes are no fun at all. Meaning no new features and improvements for multiple months just to ensure the next Stable build is with as few issues as possible. It's not that version 6.0 would include a host of new improvements. Well... Yes, it does that on top of 5.0 but not of how Dolphin currently stands with the Development builds. Stable builds are more meant, as the name says, being stable. But who says that the Development builds aren't stable. Anyway, since 5.0 we have Direct3D 12 back again and improved, support for Vulkan, emulated MotionPlus, Ubershaders, Cubeb and Wasapi Audio Backends, Hybrid XFB, support for custom DDS BC7 textures and what not else. All these features are already available for use with the latest Development builds.

Just keep those Development builds rolling in.

And welcome!
You can always use the portable function of Dolphin when you start a long game you don't want to risk your progress on and just use one single build for that game until you beat it (assuming there are no issues with the game) and keep a second build you keep up to date to get all the new features and fixes. I do this whenever I start a new RPG run. I use my build I keep up to date to play my pick up and play games (mario kart wii, smash, ect.).

Pee wee

OK! Thank you very much for your clarification, @Admentus & appreciate your comment @TKSilver.

Regards.
If you download a development build, by default the auto update system will pull a build roughly every progress report. Once every one to two months. There is nothing you need to do besides click 'yes' when it asks.

You only really need to click 'no' on the update system if you use save states as your main way of saving. Which is not recommended. You should use normal in game saves first. They are much more stable and do not break compatibility between updates.
As no one else has pointed this out yet, a stable build doesn't necessarily crash less or work better than a dev build. In this context, stable just means that there are no new bugs since the last stable release, so if ten thousand bugs are fixed and a hundred new features are added, but one extra bug snuck in, that build isn't stable. Normal people are going to care a lot more about the ten thousand fixes than they are about the one new way something's broken, so they should use the dev build.
The only group of users I can think of who should absolutely care about stable are Smash netplayers. And they're just using a fork now.
Since no one mentioned yet, the wiki also benefits from stable releases, since we only track problems that happen on the latest stable release or newer, crossing out the problems fixed in current development builds (and we currently have a lot of crossed entries due all the improvements and bug fixes Dolphin had since 5.0)...

Pee wee

Certainly, totally agree @AnyOldName3. I should like to thank everyone who has expressed the opinion to this topic.

Regards.