Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: The 'new' resolution handling and Arc Rise Fantasia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

mrstackz

I'm 100% this isn't a bug, so I'm posting here for suggestions as to how to deal with it.  I've tried every setting that the board says 'should' work - they don't.  For THIS game only.

The Problem
In the newer versions of Dolphin, Arc Rise Fantasia refuses to fill the screen.  It doesn't matter what combination of settings I use.  The best I can get is a 16:9 that is horizontally good and vertically challenged.  I'm using an OLED TV, so I really need this thing to fill as much space as possible to help mitigate burn-in, outside of the fact it just looks better.

I have tried
  • Crop
  • Internal res greater than TV/Windows res
  • Internal res same as TV/Windows res
  • Internal res lower than TV/Windows res
  • All of the different compatible backends, OpenGL, DX11, DX12 (on the newer one) and Vulkan (on the newer one)
  • Force 16:9 (still has black borders regardless of crop)
  • Force 4:3 (obviously doesn't work, just wanted to see)
  • Stretch to Window (this just stretches horizontally, it doesn't stretch vertically)
  • Widescreen hack (does a better job of stretching horizontally, but doesn't stretch vertically)

I also tried having it set to a given res and then adjusting my graphics card (nVidia 2080) to see if it would size properly.  It keeps the same relative resolution.  So it's almost like Dolphin itself is not respecting what I tell it to output as and is instead doing whatever it feels like doing.  That's what I DON'T want.  I understand it's trying to stay true to the original game, but it doesn't look right nearly 10 years after the fact.

Older Dolphin and Ishiiruka (which is older Dolphin) do this magically with no hard work.  In fact you'd have to work to get it to NOT do it right.

Below are examples of what I'm talking about.

When It Works (older version of Dolphin and/or Ishiiruka)

[Image: 7ZUU3dr.png]

When It Doesn't Work (newer version of Dolphin)
[Image: kj1e3fT.png]

So my question.  Is there some INI or some other setting where I can tell Dolphin, "stop thinking for me.  Just do as you're told"?  In this case, if I tell it to output a 1080p image and my TV/Windows res is 1920x1080, it should look exactly like that second image when maximized.

Thanks in advance.
You must have something weird set, I'm unable to reproduce this.

Default settings + Crop to remove the tiny black bars from the Wii not having exactly a 16:9 ratio. Auto resolution selection.

I'm guessing that you set your Wii System Menu Setting to 4:3 in Options/Configuration/Wii. There should be an emulated aspect ratio setting there. The reason why it'd work in Ishiiruka is that it might be missing the functionality to actually use the Wii's configured aspect ratio.

mrstackz

(06-11-2019, 04:35 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]You must have something weird set, I'm unable to reproduce this.

Default settings + Crop to remove the tiny black bars from the Wii not having exactly a 16:9 ratio.  Auto resolution selection.

I'm guessing that you set your Wii System Menu Setting to 4:3 in Options/Configuration/Wii.  There should be an emulated aspect ratio setting there.  The reason why it'd work in Ishiiruka is that it might be missing the functionality to actually use the Wii's configured aspect ratio.

Crop does nothing.  Literally nothing.  On or off, the image will have black bars.  Which seems odd to me and thus why I asked if there was an INI.

But that Wii system menu setting appears to have done the trick.  I think.  I haven't done excessive testing on that because I was still going through the whole crash fiasco first.  Thanks on this one though.