Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: mario sunshine surround sound and heaset
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Everyone,

I recently obtained 7.1 surround sound headphones and was wondering if it is possible to play games like super Mario sunshine using the surround sound option. When I choose the setting in game - only stereo works properly. Is there a setting I need to change - or does surround sound just not work with headphones.

Thanks Everyone!
(06-03-2019, 07:37 AM)MonadoBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Everyone,

I recently obtained 7.1 surround sound headphones and was wondering if it is possible to play games like super Mario sunshine using the surround sound option. When I choose the setting in game - only stereo works properly. Is there a setting I need to change - or does surround sound just not work with headphones.

Thanks Everyone!

Yes!
1. get the DSP files from your Gamecube
2. Select OpenAL as your sound backend
3. Select LLE Interpreter for your Audio compiler.
4. Select Dolby Pro Logic II Decoder
5. ...
6. Profit!

Just keep in mind that this is several times more demanding on your hardware because of the LLE.

Then finally: What headset do you have? Since most headsets only have VIRTUAL 5.1/7.1 surround sound which means the sound on Dolphin will be better in Stereo anyway.

I myself have the USB Somic G95 Real 5.1 Surround headset which has 6 drivers (speakers) and thus is REAL 5.1 surround in a headset and then playing with Dolby Pro Logic II makes it a lot better IMO.

(This one: https://www.amazon.com/Real-Surround-Sou...B008J8HVT8 I bought it at Matrix when I was living in Johannesburg, South-Africa)

P.S. I don't know if the LLE is still required... a dev might need to chime in, I just remembered that recently something had changed about it.
P.S.2. I use OpenAL since that used to be the only Audio back-end that supported it, but also that might have changed recently. On another note... I used to have a SoundBlaster X-fi Xtreme Gaming which supports hardware OpenAL (just copy the OpenAL.dll file of your Alchemy folder to your Dolphin folder) which actually sped up LLE a bit for me (strangely enough it was like a 1-2 FPS increase)
(06-05-2019, 05:56 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]3. Select LLE Interpreter for your Audio compiler.

Does LLE Recompiler not work?
(06-05-2019, 05:59 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Does LLE Recompiler not work?

I honestly don't remember but I can try later today, my computer is able to run full speed anyway so I never changed it Smile

EDIT: Ok, apparently it now runs with any back-end that isn't WASAPI and it works correctly in LLE Recompiler as well.
I must say that the OpenAL back-end is a huge mess sound wise right now (this is in the latest Windows 10 and with the latest dev-version of Dolphin) even though it runs at the 25fps (yes I have PAL) it is supposed to. The sound stutters like crazy and that is on any game I've tried so far, but how messed up it is doesn't matter in the case of Surround since it works with that backend as well.
Cubeb HLE works fine with the Dolby Pro Logic II Decoder option?

Seriously, avoid OpenAL like the plague. A recent Dolphin update now recommends Cubeb as default for Windows users.
(06-05-2019, 11:37 PM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]Cubeb HLE works fine with the Dolby Pro Logic II Decoder option?

Seriously, avoid OpenAL like the plague. A recent Dolphin update now recommends Cubeb as default for Windows users.

It does not with my setup, as soon as I select the Surround sound option in Super Mario Sunshine the rear TomTom's are completely muted.