Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: ROG GU501GM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Specs: Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i7-8750H (Intel Core i7)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
Ram: 16gb

what are the best settings to get consistent 60 fps, i tried to configure some games however i notice stutter during games like Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl.
Try everything at default settings, if you are still having stuttering issues (some at the begining when building shader caches is normal) then check your temps with something like afterburner or other hardware monitoring software. If your temps are getting too high or your CPU is trottling too low then...

You may want to look into under volting the CPU (make sure you are confident before trying) since this laptop runs hot and that does effect performance and stability.
(05-24-2019, 04:05 AM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]Try everything at default settings, if you are still having stuttering issues (some at the begining when building shader caches is normal) then check your temps with something like afterburner or other hardware monitoring software.  If your temps are getting too high or your CPU is trottling too low then...

You may want to look into under volting the CPU (make sure you are confident before trying) since this laptop runs hot and that does effect performance and stability.

ok i will do that, i tried the default settings and its running flawlessly with Mario Power Tennis and Smash Bros. Melee. So am i doing too much enhancements?

how do i use afterburner to correctly monitor in-Game?

but from experience i do have a cooling fan right under my laptop and i never notice it get hot at all, nor does it blast the fans on due to it.
ok after using afterburner with Super Smash Bros. Brawl. the highest the temp would go is a 58c
Are you set to high performance in Windows power plan?

Also use Nvidia's control panel to make sure you have Dolphin set to performance and not Optimus in 3d application settings, sometimes GPUs do not recognize emulator loads and switches to the integrated GPU.
(05-24-2019, 10:34 PM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]Are you set to high performance in Windows power plan?

Also use Nvidia's control panel to make sure you have Dolphin set to performance and not Optimus in 3d application settings, sometimes GPUs do not recognize emulator loads and switches to the integrated GPU.

The performance is already on max settings along with the charger always plugged in.

I will check the Nvidia control panel to see if that's the case
saves me deleting the folder "my document/Dolphin Emulator". But note that all game saves will be lost
(05-24-2019, 10:34 PM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]Are you set to high performance in Windows power plan?

Well it seems i do have it at max performance, yet i still have this issue
(05-25-2019, 05:44 AM)huxsle Wrote: [ -> ]saves me deleting the folder "my document/Dolphin Emulator". But note that all game saves will be lost

As always first things first:
Make sure your Windows is up to date
Get the latest GPU drivers from the nVidia website and install them.
Download and extract the latest Dolphin development version into an empty new folder.
Create an empty portable.txt in the folder that houses your Dolphin.exe, this will make a user directory in the same folder thus making it also reset to defaults (do not touch anything else yet)

After you've done this:

In nVidia control panel VERY VERY important:
3D settings > Adjust image settings with preview > Use the advanced 3D image settings
3D settings > Manage 3D settings > Program settings > Add > Browse... > "Select your NEW Dolphin.exe here" > Wait until under 1. Select a program to customize it says Dolphin.exe
3D settings > Manage 3D settings > Program settings > Preferred graphics processor "High performance NVIDIA processor"
3D settings > Manage 3D settings > Program settings > 2. Specify the settings for this program > Maximum prerendered frames "1" > Power management mode "Prefer maximum performance"

Windows VERY VERY important (I know you said you did it, but just for completeness):
Start "Flag" > Settings "Cogwheel" > System > Power and sleep > Additional power settings > High performance (for both on battery and plugged in)

nVidia GeForce experience > Turn off batteryboost: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/co...ng_laptop/

Reboot your computer and wait until everything is loaded, don't start any applications (no mediaplayer or browser or whatever), turn off Windows Defender Real-time scan (or your anti-virus) and close any unused applications in your System tray.

NOW you are ready to run your NEW Dolphin for the first time, DON'T Change ANYTHING except for: Controller mapping (if needed), Shader compilation "Asynchronous (Ubershader)" + Compile shaders before starting, and your games folder. (don't worry about your savegames for now, they are safe in your "Documents\Dolphin Emulator" folder.

Run your game and see if the issue is fixed.
If not, there isn't anything we can do anymore and your computer either Throttles the CPU (you could try to use the Throttlestop application at your own risk) or the GPU (not much we can do about that) because it gets too hot. If so try if you can get some airflow going at the bottom of your laptop, so don't put it on a soft surface or your lap but put it on a table with some books (or the likes) on the corners of your laptop or (even better) get a cooling pad (which worked perfectly for me) https://www.amazon.com/s?k=laptop+coolin...nb_sb_noss.

If this doesn't work, I'm sorry but apparently the laptop is too slow or to constrained in allowed powerdraw or thermals.
Is this response for me or for the other poster?

Also as I use MSI afterburner, it seems it only goes up to 58-60c in heat. So I dont think throttling is an issue
Pages: 1 2