Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin crashing periodically [Linux]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Every 10 minutes or so Dolphin will crash with no panic handle. I'm not doing anything crazy, mostly just playing Metroid Prime on modest settings for my system (3x IR, 2x MSAA, 16x AF, etc...). This happens with every game I've tried. I am running a build that's only a couple days old

System info:
Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.19.36-1-MANJARO
DE: KDE 5.57.0 / Plasma 5.15.4
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4x 3.9GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (HAWAII, DRM 3.27.0, 4.19.36-1-MANJARO, LLVM 8.0.0)
OpenGL does the same thing so it doesn't seem to be an api problem. This is really frustrating cause it so unpredictable
I've had this happen with an Ubuntu derivative and older kernels. I'm on 5.1.1-2 rn but I don't see things changing just on the kernel. Would a log file help?
A backtrace would likely help things - it should tell us what exactly is crashing and in what code, so may be useful to diagnose exactly what's going on (even if it's not a "dolphin" problem as such)
(05-18-2019, 04:45 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]A backtrace would likely help things - it should tell us what exactly is crashing and in what code, so may be useful to diagnose exactly what's going on (even if it's not a "dolphin" problem as such)

How exactly would I do that, I'm not that good at Linux yet

Edit: figured out how to do it, will update with log soon
I added "[color=#000000]-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug" to my cmake when building and when i run dolphin through gdb no game loads. Do I strictly need to run through gdb? Dolphin runs without it[/color]
You shouldn't need a Debug build, as it disables /all/ optimisations it may cause poor performance. Something like "RelWithDebInfo" may be a good balance of debug-ability and speed.

And running dolphin through gdb is non-trivial, as the JIT actually causes (And handles) some signals that gdb interprets as "faults" - it'll probably be easier to set your distro to create core dumps on crashes (if it doesn't already) then use gdb on the core dump to get the backtrace of the crashing thread.
(05-18-2019, 08:23 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]You shouldn't need a Debug build, as it disables /all/ optimisations it may cause poor performance. Something like "RelWithDebInfo" may be a good balance of debug-ability and speed.

And running dolphin through gdb is non-trivial, as the JIT actually causes (And handles) some signals that gdb interprets as "faults" - it'll probably be easier to set your distro to create core dumps on crashes (if it doesn't already) then use gdb on the core dump to get the backtrace of the crashing thread.
I built with that option but I'm not getting crash dumps at all. My distro is set up for it I believe
So I set up the build with some debug stuff, but it doesn't create a coredump when it crashes periodically. It does it for other crashes, I had one recently when changing audio devices for some reason and I got a dump from that. I have yet to be able to get a dump from the random crashes. What do I do?
After my current GPU died and swapped with an old one I've yet to experience a crash. It seems to be a weird issue with that specific GPU