Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 8:3 and 32:9 aspect ratios
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know it would sound a bit strange, but those aspect ratios would actually be helpful for playing games in pseudo-VR

I know VR is not gonna happen soon, so I decided to mirror my PC display to my phone and use one of those phone-VR holders, but Dolphin only has support for Auto (either 4:3 or 16:9), 4:3, 16:9 and Stretched (which doesn't help me in full screen, but it does help in Windowed). 8:3 and 32:9 aspect ratios would be very useful when enabling side-by-side 3D, so each picture retains its original aspect ratio, and I would love for those options to be implemented

I attach a picture of my setup so you can see what I mean by this. This currently only works with Stretched aspect ratio in Windowed mode
You can use the widescreen hack plus stretch to window to make the game be any aspect ratio you want. You can also do something similar with action replay codes, which are much harder to set up and game specific, but can have fewer bugs.
(05-07-2019, 06:44 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]You can use the widescreen hack plus stretch to window to make the game be any aspect ratio you want. You can also do something similar with action replay codes, which are much harder to set up and game specific, but can have fewer bugs.

It doesn't work. When you actívate 3D, Dolphin expects each picture to use half of the width. If I actívate the Widescreen hack, Dolphin Will think each viewpoint has doublé the width of what they really have

If I have two 4:3 pictures, one for each eye, I want to have the video be stretched to 8:3 so each picture retains its original aspect ratio, but since I'm stretching the window to be 8:3, the Widescreen hack will think each eye has a 8:3 aspect ratio and make everything thin

I DON'T want to play a game in weird aspect ratios, I just want the picture to be stretched to the correct aspect ratio when I enable side-by-side 3D so each picture has its original aspect ratio

I'm not talking about having a game be rendered in 8:3 or 32:9, but about taking the picture already rendered (in either 4:3 or 16:9) and being able to force it to stretch specifically to 8:3 and 32:9
Why not just use [removed]?
(05-08-2019, 08:45 AM)ddnava Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't work. When you actívate 3D, Dolphin expects each picture to use half of the width. If I actívate the Widescreen hack, Dolphin Will think each viewpoint has doublé the width of what they really have

Conventional side-by-side 3D always halves a picture in the original aspect ratio for each eye, which the 3D output device then stretches back to the original AR on each eye. What you want is probably "full" side-by-side 3D which is (AFAIK) something Dolphin (and nearly all 3D enabled TVs/monitors/projectors) doesn't support...
bomblord, we have a general rule against recommending forks when it is unnecessary. But that fork is especially egregious, as it violates both our license and the Oculus SDK. Plus it was made by a horrible horrible person that has been banned by a ton of communities including this one. There is is never a reason to recommend that fork.
(05-08-2019, 12:31 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]bomblord, we have a general rule against recommending forks when it is unnecessary. But that fork is especially egregious, as it violates both our license and the Oculus SDK. Plus it was made by a horrible horrible person that has been banned by a ton of communities including this one. There is is never a reason to recommend that fork.

And don't forget that fork was abandoned like 2 years ago or so

Anyway, full VR would be more taxing for my setup, specially in a game like Metroid Prime which has a lot of culling outside the intended FOV. I just think "full side-by-side 3D", as mbc07 addressed it, would be a good addition for this use case, as 3D TVs are quite rare nowadays and using a phone for this is arguably the easiest and cheapest way to enjoy 3D
(05-08-2019, 12:31 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]bomblord, we have a general rule against recommending forks when it is unnecessary. But that fork is especially egregious, as it violates both our license and the Oculus SDK. Plus it was made by a horrible horrible person that has been banned by a ton of communities including this one. There is is never a reason to recommend that fork.

Uhh alright then I apologize. It seemed like it was relevant and necessary but I wasn't aware of the information regarding forum rules prohibiting discussion of those forks or the personal issues with the creator and I'll take your word for it you know a lot more about this than I do. Thank you for the heads up I'll refrain from discussing that in the future.
(05-08-2019, 01:02 PM)ddnava Wrote: [ -> ][...] I just think "full side-by-side 3D", as mbc07 addressed it, would be a good addition for this use case, as 3D TVs are quite rare nowadays and using a phone for this is arguably the easiest and cheapest way to enjoy 3D

Your phone screen would still be split in half to get an image for each eye, so I'm not getting how (or why) you would use a "full" image for each eye or what improvement it would bring. The (half) side-by-side mode present in Dolphin should work just fine if I'm understanding your setup correctly...
(05-10-2019, 04:53 AM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Your phone screen would still be split in half to get an image for each eye, so I'm not getting how (or why) you would use a "full" image for each eye or what improvement it would bring. The (half) side-by-side mode present in Dolphin should work just fine if I'm understanding your setup correctly...

The "half" side-by-side works, but everything is stretched vertically because my phone is 16:9, so if I set it to stretch in full-screen, each picture uses half that, which is 8:9, while the picture is supposed to be 4:3 (8:6)
Pages: 1 2