Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: OpenXR implementation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

geekygami

Hi.

I had heard rumors on Discord about VR being implemented in Dolphin proper once OpenXR would release.

https://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/201...eased.aspx

OpenXR is the open platform to unify VR platforms, and currently should not be against the GPL license being used by Dolphin, and thus should not fall within the same trappings as Dolphin VR.

On that subject, Dolphin VR hasn't been updated to a more recent version since 2EyeGuy was banned, but I think some things implemented in the latest release of Dolphin VR could certainly make it through, provided all mentions of SteamVR or Oculus drivers are changed strictly to OpenXR handles.

I still dream of playing Twilight Princess in VR, with all effects properly working, on a better optimized build of Dolphin, and wanted to know if anybody counted on working on official VR implementation now that OpenXR has released to developers.

I decided to reach out to the community here since the subject seems to have been on the water for a while, and implementation is certainly possible.

To be fair, there'd be a few advantages to proper VR implementation;
Obviously, with VR controllers tracking rotationally, you could use them as substitutes for Wii Motion Plus, making games like Skyward Sword not only playable normally, but playable in VR as well.

You could have wii-mote shaking done by shaking motion controllers, and VR implementation would let stereoscopic 3D issues more reasonable to officially fix.
Leveraging OpenXR to support VR controllers and HMDs in Dolphin is certainly possible, and there were talks about waiting for that years ago, but the main dev interested hasn't been heard from in awhile. I've also heard rumors that we're "working on it right now", which is news to me! but hey I haven't checked IRC in a few days so shrug.

Anyways, would be cool, not sure if anybody is interested in doing the work, maybe somebody will in the future.
Very exciting news, I really hope this eventuates as so many of the games Dolphin can emulate already run and look pretty good through a VR headset!

If only Nintendo could jump on board and lend a hand, I know I'd happily pay full price for old GC/WII games that work correctly in hi res, widescreen, 3D and VR on PC. Smile

mikeyedi

I have a windows MR headset and would love this feature. I feel the motion controls would be a more natural fit for a wii emulator.