Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Test Emulator without game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Goldenbreath99

Hey,

So I just placed an order on Amazon for The Sims 2 for Gamecube as soon as I found this emulator, problem is I actually have no idea if my Laptop is strong enough to run a game like this smoothly. It meets the requirements for the emulator but I can't be sure it will run. I don't have any games yet so how can I test this without having to do something illegal?

I know nothing about CPUs and GPUs so if someone could take a look at my specs and tell me if it's worth risking ordering an actual game, it'd be great.

My Specs:

Windows 10 64Bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-4510U @2.00GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon R5 M330
RAM: 8GB
(04-22-2019, 05:46 AM)Goldenbreath99 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey,

So I just placed an order on Amazon for The Sims 2 for Gamecube as soon as I found this emulator, problem is I actually have no idea if my Laptop is strong enough to run a game like this smoothly. It meets the requirements for the emulator but I can't be sure it will run. I don't have any games yet so how can I test this without having to do something illegal?

I know nothing about CPUs and GPUs so if someone could take a look at my specs and tell me if it's worth risking ordering an actual game, it'd be great.

My Specs:

Windows 10 64Bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-4510U @2.00GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon R5 M330
RAM: 8GB

Well, the requirements differ per game so even if game 1 or test 1 works at a perfect 100% speed, another might not. (e.g. New Super Mario Bros Wii (non-demanding) vs. Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2/3 (Ultra-demanding)) So we can't really tell.

That said:
1. You have an ultra low power CPU in your laptop with a "lowish" clockspeed
2. The GPU in your laptop is quite a bit slower than the recommended GPU, which is the GeForce GTX750
3. As we don't know what laptop you have it might be completely thermally constrained, which means that your CPU will run slower as it gets hotter.

So given this information my educated guess would be that your system is too slow to run anything reliable at 100% speed.

I think that you would be MUCH better off ordering the PC version of The Sims 2 (unless that game is completely different from it, I don't know as I don't own it)

Goldenbreath99

(04-22-2019, 08:22 AM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]Well, the requirements differ per game so even if game 1 or test 1 works at a perfect 100% speed, another might not. (e.g. New Super Mario Bros Wii (non-demanding) vs. Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2/3 (Ultra-demanding)) So we can't really tell.

That said:
1. You have an ultra low power CPU in your laptop with a "lowish" clockspeed
2. The GPU in your laptop is quite a bit slower than the recommended GPU, which is the GeForce GTX750
3. As we don't know what laptop you have it might be completely thermally constrained, which means that your CPU will run slower as it gets hotter.

So given this information my educated guess would be that your system is too slow to run anything reliable at 100% speed.

I think that you would be MUCH better off ordering the PC version of The Sims 2 (unless that game is completely different from it, I don't know as I don't own it)
Yeah the PC version of the Sims 2 is a completely different game than the console version, that being said I found the gamecube version on Amazon and it's ridiculously cheap so i'll grab the game anyway just to test it. 
I knew my Laptop was slow but to be honest with the games I've played on it in past years on pretty good settings it seems it can keep up for a bit.
Thanks for the help, like I said I knew nothing about GPUs and CPUs so knowing that my laptop is not as good I as thought when they were selling it to me is very handy.  Tongue

Btw, any other opinions are also welcome. 
Your CPU has 2.0 GHz frequency base. Max Turbo clock is 3.1 Ghz so... now things look brighter. If your laptop does not thermally slows down max clock then your haswell-family cpu is quite good for games.
On the other hand, R5 M330 GPU is low-end on mobile market. So native or maybe max 2x resolution it can achieve. It should support vulkan and dx12 API, soo.. grab the latest development dolphin build and test it, you may see some success here when one of those two backend enabled in dolphin settings.
Ram is enough, if its working in dual channel, (two physicall bones=2x4GB).

I wouldnt give back with this laptop, as mstreurman said, performance heavily depends on games, settings later too.
I have a very similar GPU - R5 M430. It's paired with an AMD A9-9140 Dual Core 2.9-3.5ghz CPU.

I can play Twilight Princess (Gamecube) at 720p @ 100% speed
Windwaker GameCube @ 720p @ 100% speed
Pikmin 2 @ 1080p 8 anti-aliasing @ 100% speed
Super Mario Bros @ 720p @ 100% speed.
Super Mario Galaxy at 90-100% speed on Dev build.

I have no idea how Sims 2 will run, but thought I'd share some benchmarks at the top of my head. Considering you've got a more powerful CPU, you could run super Mario galaxy at full speed (if you wanted to).

Ive got plenty more games, if you'd want any more benchmarks let me know. But this GPU is capable of playing some games at 720p. The R5 330 and R5 430 are very similar, the R5 430 is slightly more powerful I believe however.

Edit: A weird thing is when I installed the drivers from AMD, it installed it as the R5 M330 for some reason. I tried uninstalling it and installing the drivers again so it'd be the R5 M430, but no luck. Works perfectly fine however.

Supports DX11, DX12, OpenGL and Vulkan.

Goldenbreath99

(04-23-2019, 01:26 AM)Glen707 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a very similar GPU - R5 M430. It's paired with an AMD A9-9140 Dual Core 2.9-3.5ghz CPU.

I can play Twilight Princess (Gamecube) at 720p @ 100% speed
Windwaker GameCube @ 720p @ 100% speed
Pikmin 2 @ 1080p 8 anti-aliasing @ 100% speed
Super Mario Bros @ 720p @ 100% speed.
Super Mario Galaxy at 90-100% speed on Dev build.

I have no idea how Sims 2 will run, but thought I'd share some benchmarks at the top of my head. Considering you've got a more powerful CPU, you could run super Mario galaxy at full speed.

Ive got plenty more games, if you'd want any more benchmarks let me know. But this GPU is capable of playing some games at 720p. The R5 330 and R5 430 are very similar, the R5 430 is slightly more powerful I believe however.

Edit: A weird thing is when I installed the drivers from AMD, it installed it as the R5 M330 for some reason. I tried uninstalling it and installing the drivers again so it'd be the R5 M430, but no luck. Works perfectly fine however.

Supports DX11, DX12, OpenGL and Vulkan.
Haha weird. When I installed the drivers I got a complete different graphics card myself, but I have the R5 M330 and it does a pretty good job for a low-end card. I think The Sims 2 in 720p might run and if not then at least Bustin Out. It's worth the risk, the game will be coming in the next few days. I'll let you know.

Thanks for the frame of refrence, I could google the games you said and I am pretty sure The Sims will run hopefully Smile 
(04-23-2019, 01:38 AM)Goldenbreath99 Wrote: [ -> ]Haha weird. When I installed the drivers I got a complete different graphics card myself, but I have the R5 M330 and it does a pretty good job for a low-end card. I think The Sims 2 in 720p might run and if not then at least Bustin Out. It's worth the risk, the game will be coming in the next few days. I'll let you know.

Thanks for the frame of refrence, I could google the games you said and I am pretty sure The Sims will run hopefully Smile 

You do know that you can't just pop-in the disc to your computer right? Just making sure Tongue 

You need a modded Wii/GC to rip them. So what ever you do, you can still play the game Wink