Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Change the path of custom textures
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

JinXD

Is it possible to change the location of where Dolphin loads custom textures from?

I have it working fine from C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures, however I'd prefer for this to be on another location with more capacity.

Thanks in advance.
Take a look on creating a directory junction.
In other words, run the following command in CMD/Powershell: mklink /J "C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures" "E:\YourDestinationPath"
Maybe you have to delete the Textures folder before you can create the directory junction.

JinXD

(04-19-2019, 03:51 AM)Neui Wrote: [ -> ]Take a look on creating a directory junction.
In other words, run the following command in CMD/Powershell: mklink /J "C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures" "E:\YourDestinationPath"
Maybe you have to delete the Textures folder before you can create the directory junction.

Thanks, your solution works well for what I asked, though I had to create a symbolic link as it's a network rather than local drive.

I'm trying all this to get around the free 5GB limit on Microsoft OneDrive, since I use it to sync everything in C:\Users\%username%\Documents, as a backup and so it's all available on other windows systems I have.  Unfortunately using a directory junction or symbolic link still syncs the custom textures to OneDrive.

What I was hoping for was an option in a Dolphin config file or even the GUI to set where custom textures are stored.  Similar to how there's an option of where your game folders are, the default ISO, Wii NAND Root etc.

I understand my scenario is rather niche.

Thanks again for your suggestion.
(04-19-2019, 06:25 PM)JinXD Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, your solution works well for what I asked, though I had to create a symbolic link as it's a network rather than local drive.

I'm trying all this to get around the free 5GB limit on Microsoft OneDrive, since I use it to sync everything in C:\Users\%username%\Documents, as a backup and so it's all available on other windows systems I have.  Unfortunately using a directory junction or symbolic link still syncs the custom textures to OneDrive.

What I was hoping for was an option in a Dolphin config file or even the GUI to set where custom textures are stored.  Similar to how there's an option of where your game folders are, the default ISO, Wii NAND Root etc.

I understand my scenario is rather niche.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

If you don't mind the Dolphin Emulator folder in Documents not syncing in this way you could make Dolphin portable by creating an empty portable.txt in the main folder of Dolphin (where Dolphin.exe is located) this will create an User folder inside the Dolphin directory and once done you can just copy the contents of your Dolphin Emulator folder into it, this will include the texturepacks Wink 

Even if it is on a network drive, just create a shortcut to Dolphin on your desktop as loading it from network shouldn't take too much time (running here from a 1000MB/s 4TB NAS)