Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can i run games on Dolphin even 30 fps?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(04-11-2019, 09:18 PM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]For emulation there is no advantage to MacOS over linux or windows, and there is no advantage in hardware (again for emulation) in an Apple made laptop over almost anyother manufacturers laptop at the same price (sometimes at a lower price as well).  If you need a Mac for some reason (emulation should not be that reason) then the 2015 15" (and only the 15") Macbook pros uses HQ series core i5 and i7 processors.  They will be much better then the 2435m in your current Macbook, but you will still want to dual boot and run a different OS when actually running emulators to get past Apple's driver support or lack there of.  Keep in mind that emulation for long periods of time is one of the more stressful things you can do in terms of CPU heat generation and the 2015 macbook pro (early and late 15") are known for having heat issues just doing more normal Mac things that also stress the CPU (video editing comes to mind).

What advantage is there for Mac's except being able to run OSX and OSX specific software (for which better/more professional alternatives exist anyway)? I'm really curious because I've never heard any compelling answer.
You would have to ask an apple fan for that. The OP owns a macbook and was asking about other macbook products as a possible upgrade. Since that is the case, just saying buy something non apple is probably not going to be very helpful. So I warned about the 2 major issues that will probably come up with the options provided (heat and MacOS drivers\general emulator suport and heat issues in the models asked about). I also gave possible solutions to these issues (dual boot for better support\drivers and limiting long emulation sessions).
(04-14-2019, 08:28 PM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]What advantage is there for Mac's except being able to run OSX and OSX specific software (for which better/more professional alternatives exist anyway)? I'm really curious because I've never heard any compelling answer.

It's nice for dev work.

Also, low effort OS security.
(04-15-2019, 03:09 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]It's nice for dev work.

Also, low effort OS security.

So:
Nice for dev work... guess that is why everybody is devving on OSX then and that is why it is so easy to find Apple dev's for projects... (Not trying to be a douche here, but if it was such a nice dev environment then why aren't there more people devving on it, crosscompiling is a thing right?)
Low effort OS security... Same goes for Windows 10... Auto updates, build in firewall which is good enough, build in AV which is good enough, build in drive encryption, build in (incremental) back ups, build in policy management, build in account security which is activated by default... and so on... most of these things are activated by default as well so the user doesn't have to do anything about it.

So, as far as I can see there is still no real benefit... Anyone else got more suggestions?

My wife uses a Mac and that is just because she grew up with it and can't get used to a Windows or even a Linux machine set up like OSX... I tried and failed miserably, as her rose gold early 2016 13" MacBook Air Wink got stolen and as a temporary machine I got her an Asus Vivobook 14 E403NA with a Pentium N4200, 4GB DDR3 1600MHz, 1280x800 60Hz screen and 128GB storage on Win10x64 Home for her birthday but after about 3 weeks she decided she had enough (and she was using it 24/7) and bought a 2015 15" MacBook Pro, she only uses it for browsing/social media and Netflix/YouTube for which I did add 16GB of RAM as she uses Chrome and always has a million tabs open (she was actually complaining that her Mac was sooo much slower than the computer I got her Tongue but that was because she actually closed the windows/tabs there Tongue)  so and I quote "Doesn't forget which pages she likes to look at" (she was actually complaining that her Mac was sooo much slower than the computer I got her but that was because she actually closed the windows there Tongue)and Yes I've tried to explain the concept of Bookmarks/favorites to her Tongue

I've been dabbling with OSX for myself (hackintosh and inside a VM) as I have to teach people some things about OSX for work so I need to be able to make screenshots and the like for training materials and I've been using it quite a lot, but still don't see a real benefit.
I didn't read your comment because it was huge and nobody cares dude.
Pages: 1 2