Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Vulkan is faster than other backends?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Nikitastepanov

Vulkan is faster than other backends?
Long answer: Depends. Sometimes yes, sometimes it's a fair bit slower. You only need to reach full speed so it's not really relevant anyways. Any GPU new enough to have Vulkan support is fast enough on the other backends anyways.

Short answer: Nope.
on macOS vulkan is the way to go, by far. Apple is phasing out its OpenGL/CL support (it's been deprecated in Mojave) and they've never had good support for it anyway - plus, if you've updated to Mojave, OpenGL seems to be broken for Mac version of Dolphin ATM. With MoltenVK becoming more mature, Vulkan is the easy choice for mac users going forward in any case.

Nikitastepanov

Whick backend is faster then?
(04-06-2019, 07:14 PM)Nikitastepanov Wrote: [ -> ]Whick backend is faster then?

It depends.
I think dx12 and vulkan are the fastest one, under most situations.
On nVidia GPU, OGL blows everything else out of the water on most scenarios, in my experience.
Well, not really.
The graphs at the end of this progress report show very well that there isn't a single backend better in every situation https://fr.dolphin-emu.org/blog/2019/04/...-backends/

Just use whatever you want and switch if you aren't getting full speed / encounter a backend-specific bug.
It is either Vulkan or D3D12 for me. For the games that I own OpenGL tends to be the slowest, such as Super Mario Sunshine. And I mean drastically slower. OpenGL can not even maintain Super Mario Sunshine at 60 FPS (with the 60 FPS code), while Vulkan does it with ease. Keep in mind, I usually work with settings such as CPU Clock Override, 6x IR, Texture Packs, widescreen codes and other enhancements.
That's weird because OpenGL is just as fast in Super Mario Sunshine for me and I have a weaker computer overall. I ran the 60 FPS code on single core in it just fine.
Pages: 1 2