Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Saving to Memory Card from Save State for Gauntlet Dark Legacy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Dropshock

I just wanted to start off by saying, I am at wits end.

So about 3 years ago, I was running on the current version of Dolphin at the time (v.4.0-7840) and I was playing Gauntlet Dark Legacy with my GF and her brother. She introduced me to the game and I ended up really liking it, I mean a lot. So we played for a while and got pretty far, the 3 of us one night, and thinking that we would keep playing I created a Save State for later use. My GF and I broke up a while after that and we went our separate ways, and years went by. I had the urge to give Gauntlet another go recently and to my surprise, after digging through my backed up archives of files I've stored through the years, I found the Save State! I got the latest version of Dolphin at the current moment (v. 5.0-9888) and loaded up Gauntlet, then I loaded the save state... BUT, the save state isn't working, the message mentioned that it wouldn't work on the latest version of Dolphin and to use the version I had made the save state under. So I look up v.4.0-7840 and get that running. I load Gauntlet up and then the save state... I'm back! All 3 of us, myself,  my current Ex and her brother are still there! We're in the exact spots we were standing in when I originally paused the game and made the save state years ago! So that was pretty cool, but now I need the game to save and that's where my issue starts. Gauntlet isn't able to recognize the Memory Card when I get it to save my progress, so that I can attempt to load the Memory Card save data on the latest version of Dolphin. So it only gives me 2 options, I can either Retry (Does not work) or I can continue without saving... but that would defeat the purpose.

I've tried many different approaches to this, including creating a Memory Card save in-game on current latest Dolphin and then loading the Save State on the Old version of Dolphin and hope that I would at least be able to overwrite the Memory Card data, but it just keeps giving me that same message about not being able to access the memory card. I'm thinking that the save state is linked to something in the Memory Card that is likely long gone, but if I can just get the game otherwise recognize it as an "original memory card" then I might have some luck.

I am open to any suggestion or insight on the issue and welcome feedback.
You need to insert the exact same memory card as you were using when you created the savestate. If you don't have it anymore, you're out of luck. This is one of the reasons that savestates are not recommended for keeping your progress long-term.

Dropshock

(04-03-2019, 03:16 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]You need to insert the exact same memory card as you were using when you created the savestate. If you don't have it anymore, you're out of luck. This is one of the reasons that savestates are not recommended for keeping your progress long-term.

Thanks for the closure... I kinda knew that all along, but I was in denial, I was like "Surely, there's gotta be at least 1 way I've overlooked that could work". I guess I'm too sentimentally attached to my characters and once I saw them in the same spot I left off at, almost as if patiently waiting, I obsessed over recovering my data.

The worst case scenario is that I simply get to enjoy the game all over. Nevertheless, I appreciate the heads up, thanks for the insight.