Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin using up way too much memory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So while playing a certain Wii game for a few of hours (Xenoblade Chronicles), I ran out of virtual memory and had to force quit Dolphin.  Dolphin seems to be eating up memory unboundedly.  When I booted up the game again and started monitoring its memory use, I was getting above 13GB of memory usage within an hour of play.

I can't be sure if this is a new thing after recently updating Dolphin since I've never paid attention to its memory usage and had never had a cause to but, I'm guessing this isn't normal behavior.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here?  Thanks in advance.
Are you using HD texture packs?
(03-30-2019, 05:13 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using HD texture packs?

No I am not.  Also, if it helps to debug, I haven't changed any of the configuration settings from default except setting backend to Vulkan and setting internal resolution to 2x.

Also, I'm on a mac btw (the full specs of my macbook pro is in my profile).

EDIT: I downgraded to build 9832 and Dolphin no longer eats up memory. So something changed in one of the recent updates. When I have more time this weekend I'll try and narrow down the first instance where I see the memory gobbling behavior.

EDIT 2: Welp, that wasn't hard to find. The very next revision seems to be the culprit (9834). And from the note attached to it, it may be a MoltenVK issue. Here's the pull request note from github repository that was attached to 9834.
https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/7733
Just bumping this thread for any macOS user that may be able to replicate this memory leak type behavior I'm seeing post 9832 revision. Thanks in advance!
Some further experimentation:

1. I downloaded the latest build as of this moment, 9876.
2. I verified that the memory leak behavior is still happening.
3. I then downloaded older version of vulkan SDK, 1.1.97.0 and 1.1.92.1.
4. I swapped out the libvulkan.dylib included with the app with the older versions.

I noticed the same type of leaky behavior with 1.1.97.0 but 1.1.92.1 work perfectly and keeps the memory usage at the reasonable level.

This isn't definitively saying MoltenVK is a the culprit but, it seems to have some role in the behavior I'm seeing.