Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Sudden slow down on fullscreen.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

First time poster. I was hoping someone might help me troubleshoot a weird problem I'm having. I've been running dolphin with no problem for quite some time now, almost a year. But, today all of a sudden there's an occasional slight slow down when in fullscreen mode. This has never happened before. There are two thing I should mention.

1. Dolphin froze on me today and I had to force quit once.
2. I updated Dolphin to newest version (previously updated maybe few days ago).

Here are my specs:

CPU - 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory - 16 GB
GPU - Radeon Pro 555
OS - macOS 10.14.4 (Mojave)

Any ideas on what could be causing it? The problem is not severe enough to render dolphin unusable or anything but I'd just like to know what could be causing this sudden behavior.

Thank you in advance.

Yours,
twotonkatrucks.
What games are you playing? Your computer might not be up to par.
(03-28-2019, 09:43 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]What games are you playing? Your computer might not be up to par.

Mainly Xenoblade Chronicles, LoZ: Wind Waker, and Super Paper Mario.  

As far as my computer not being up to par, the odd thing is all of the games ran more or less at full FPS for months at fullscreen before.  Dolphin still runs at 100% FPS if not fullscreen'd.  This is a new behavior that wasn't happening before and it's a bit perplexing.
Do you have v-sync or Ubershaders enabled? What backend are you using?
(03-29-2019, 12:10 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have v-sync or Ubershaders enabled? What backend are you using?

No, no, and Vulkan.

Thanks for the help!
Hi.  A small update.

So, just as a sanity check I backed up my ~/Application Support/Dolphin folder and let Dolphin create a new instance of it.  This fixed all the issues.  So I went back to the old Dolphin folder and ran the program again and tried the "Check NAND" thing (I'm not sure exactly what NAND is in this context -- pretty sure it's not the boolean logic function Tongue -- but from cursory googling seems to be some important system related files or something) and it gave me a message that it is corrupted.  I'd hate to lose all my save files for the games.  In particular I'd like to recover the Xenoblade (Wii), Wind Waker (GC), Twilight Princess (GC), and Super Paper Mario (Wii) save files if I can.  

Any idea how this can be achieved?  I tried the Export Wii Saves things but when I tried to import, I just get a failed to import save message.

I've attached a screenshot of the Check NAND message for your consideration.  I didn't press YES because I wanted to see if I can salvage the saves somehow first.

Thanks for any help!

[attachment=17894]
I believe there´s an option to repair the NAND if it happens to be corrupted...
(03-29-2019, 06:16 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]I believe there´s an option to repair the NAND if it happens to be corrupted...

Yep.  I did try the repair option.  But, I no longer think that is the issue, well at least the Check NAND doesn't seem informative.  I noticed that anytime I open any Wii games with Dolphin, afterwards it will give me the message about corrupt NAND when executing the Check NAND from the menu bar.  Even with clean <user>/Dolphin directory.

Reducing the native resolution does help run more smoothly when full screened.  So I think I will just do that or run Dolphin without full screening for now.  Or just live with the slight hiccups.  

Thanks for all of the inputs!  Hopefully the issue will resolve itself.  Still unsure about the origin of the behavior change so if anyone has any further ideas about what could be the cause feel free to reply to the thread.
Last bit of update for anyone that still cares. I just updated to latest build, 9857, and now the games are running as smoothly as before on fullscreen. I'm not sure what changed but I had tried downgrading before (to version where I know that ran smoothly) and didn't fix the problem. Somehow this latest update did.

Thank you for all of the input. Kindly appreciated!