Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Gamecube Controller
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I want to buy a real official Nintendo Gamecube controller (that features rumble and analog triggers, just like the old ones which unfortunately I no longer have).

I've seen this in Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D...ALC6&psc=1

just to be sure, is this a genuine gamecube controller? Does it have analog triggers and rumble?

Also I remember that a while back I saw a guide for connecting gamecube controllers via passthrough (much like bluetooth passthrough for wiimote). I can't find it, so what is the best adapter for connecting GameCube controller to PC?

Thanks in advance Smile
(03-14-2019, 06:59 AM)DolphinPC Wrote: [ -> ]I want to buy a real official Nintendo Gamecube controller (that features rumble and analog triggers, just like the old ones which unfortunately I no longer have).

I've seen this in Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D...ALC6&psc=1

just to be sure, is this a genuine gamecube controller? Does it have analog triggers and rumble?

Yes. There are some minute differences in how the controller feels that you might care about if you're e.g. a competitive Smash player, but all the features like analog triggers and rumble are there.

(03-14-2019, 06:59 AM)DolphinPC Wrote: [ -> ]Also I remember that a while back I saw a guide for connecting gamecube controllers via passthrough (much like bluetooth passthrough for wiimote). I can't find it

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/how-...ter-wii-u/

(03-14-2019, 06:59 AM)DolphinPC Wrote: [ -> ]so what is the best adapter for connecting GameCube controller to PC?

Any adapter that works with a Wii U or Switch.
Thank you for the quick response, I see that the official nintendo adapters are very expensive, the Mayflash one is good enough (I ask because the Mayflash dolphin bar for example doesn't support passthrough)
(03-14-2019, 07:16 AM)DolphinPC Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the quick response, I see that the official nintendo adapters are very expensive, the Mayflash one is good enough (I ask because the Mayflash dolphin bar for example doesn't support passthrough)

Yes, a Mayflash GameCube controller adapter is fine, as long as it says that it supports the Wii U or Switch. (There is an older variant with only 2 ports that doesn't support the Wii U or Switch, but I don't know how easy it is to run into that one nowadays.)
(03-14-2019, 07:04 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. There are some minute differences in how the controller feels that you might care about if you're e.g. a competitive Smash player, but all the features like analog triggers and rumble are there.

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/how-...ter-wii-u/

Any adapter that works with a Wii U or Switch.

(03-14-2019, 07:18 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, a Mayflash GameCube controller adapter is fine, as long as it says that it supports the Wii U or Switch. (There is an older variant with only 2 ports that doesn't support the Wii U or Switch, but I don't know how easy it is to run into that one nowadays.)

found this https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-GameCube...8SI0Z&th=1 indeed it has a switch between PC and Wii U. 

Again, thank you very much for your help and quick response, Have a nice day Smile
I use the official one on my Switch and the Mayflash on my PC.
The bonus point with Mayflash is that you can indeed use them on PC mode for PC games and other emulators, this is very convenient, making it the superior version despite being unofficial.
(03-17-2019, 07:22 AM)DrHouse64 Wrote: [ -> ]I use the official one on my Switch and the Mayflash on my PC.
The bonus point with Mayflash is that you can indeed use them on PC mode for PC games and other emulators, this is very convenient, making it the superior version despite being unofficial.

Good to know, I read online that unlike 3rd party controllers, the adapter quality is the same as the official one, with the added bonus of the PC mode (which I won't use as I purchased it solely for gamecube games)
Just received the controller and the Mayflash adapter.
In case someone wants to buy the controller, there is a severe issue with the analog triggers, some times, even when not touching them at all, they still register as being lightly pressed, which makes certain games (RE4 for example) unplayable when it happens. Unfortunately, the issue is already well known (too bad I hadn't heard of it before), though the controller itself actually feels great and of high quality. Another issue some people mentioned is a problematic deadzone of the left stick, although after checking for a few times in the calibration test in F-Zero GX, the deadzone was perfect (0,0 without touching the stick).

The Mayflash adapter works perfectly, it's a great and cheap option.
(03-28-2019, 06:06 AM)DolphinPC Wrote: [ -> ]Just received the controller and the Mayflash adapter.
In case someone wants to buy the controller, there is a severe issue with the analog triggers, some times, even when not touching them at all, they still register as being lightly pressed, which makes certain games (RE4 for example) unplayable when it happens. Unfortunately, the issue is already well known (too bad I hadn't heard of it before), though the controller itself actually feels great and of high quality. Another issue some people mentioned is a problematic deadzone of the left stick, although after checking for a few times in the calibration test in F-Zero GX, the deadzone was perfect (0,0 without touching the stick).

The Mayflash adapter works perfectly, it's a great and cheap option.

Maybe that could be fixed with a small deadzone for the trigger?
(03-29-2019, 04:52 AM)mstreurman Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe that could be fixed with a small deadzone for the trigger?
I'm using the passthrough option, so unfortunately there are no configuration options in that mode (besides enabling or disabling rumble). I tried configuring a different dead zone with the adapter in PC mode, but I couldn't bring it to be as accurate as the Wii U mode in passthrough.
Pages: 1 2