Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why do I need a Wii NAND dump?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have searched around the internet and can't get an definitive answer:
What exactly am I missing out on by not using a Wii NAND dump?

I get that it's used to disguise Dolphin as a real Wii to access the shop for example, but now since the shop has closed and you can't even play online anymore, what do you need the dump for? I can use the System Menu just fine, even create a Mii and play online on Wiimmfi - all without the NAND!

The only thing I can't figure out is how to add friends to play MKWii on Wiimmfi together. I think you both had to add each other on the address book and it says 0000-0000-0000 for me so that's maybe a problem (mind you I haven't touched my Wii for at least 6 years or so).

The Dolphin wiki reads "Some games may require [...] a full NAND dump to work correctly", but it doesn't say which ones or what it's needed for. So please enlighten me and also thanks for reading!

Best regards
You are correct. Most of it's use is for various online services. But you can actually generate a clean NAND (missing certs, so some online functionality is not there) from nothing in Dolphin. Dolphin supports performing a system update using nintendo's NUS servers. This will generate a clean NAND.

I'm not actually aware of any games that need a NAND dump to work.

Basically, if you just want to play some games offline, you don't need a proper NAND dump from a real wii.
(03-13-2019, 10:45 AM)Anuskuss Wrote: [ -> ]The Dolphin wiki reads "Some games may require [...] a full NAND dump to work correctly", but it doesn't say which ones or what it's needed for.

Where exactly did you read that sentence, so we can correct it? It was true around 4.0-era as I can recall at least Mortal Kombat Armageddon refusing to boot without a proper NAND but with all improvements on NAND and IOS handling that Dolphin received during 5.0-era that's simply not true anymore...
(03-13-2019, 10:45 AM)Anuskuss Wrote: [ -> ]I get that it's used to disguise Dolphin as a real Wii to access the shop for example, but now since the shop has closed and you can't even play online anymore, what do you need the dump for? I can use the System Menu just fine, even create a Mii and play online on Wiimmfi - all without the NAND!

Is it really possible to play on Wiimmfi without a real NAND? You didn't have to use some kind of identity spoofer or anything?
Mortal Kombat Armageddon boots fine with a full NAND dump, as I've played it on my full NAND dump in Dolphin.

You also get online certs for free when doing system update in Dolphin because Dolphin can now extract the certs from the IOS that has them.

The reason you need a full NAND dump is your Wii's keys, which give you access to your Wii's SD exported games, games bought online, etc.
(03-13-2019, 05:11 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Is it really possible to play on Wiimmfi without a real NAND? You didn't have to use some kind of identity spoofer or anything?

They don't block you for using a generic Dolphin MAC Address.  They ban you if you constantly change it, if I remember correctly.
I've played with both, the Dolphin generic one, and my Wii's original MAC address.
(03-13-2019, 09:03 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Mortal Kombat Armageddon boots fine with a full NAND dump, as I've played it on my full NAND dump in Dolphin.

I worded my previous post poorly, what I meant is that this game didn't boot in 4.0-era if you didn't have a full NAND dump. Currently it boots fine regardless if you have a full NAND or not, and that should be the case for all Wii titles...
(03-13-2019, 12:26 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin supports performing a system update using nintendo's NUS servers. This will generate a clean NAND.
Is this the only way to achieve a clean NAND? I only installed the System Menu and it looked fine to me, what does Tools -> Perform Online System Update actually do? And also I'm curious, does updating from within the Wii work?

(03-13-2019, 04:07 PM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Where exactly did you read that sentence, so we can correct it? It was true around 4.0-era as I can recall at least Mortal Kombat Armageddon refusing to boot without a proper NAND but with all improvements on NAND and IOS handling that Dolphin received during 5.0-era that's simply not true anymore...
Dolphin Emulator - NAND Usage Guide

(03-13-2019, 05:11 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Is it really possible to play on Wiimmfi without a real NAND? You didn't have to use some kind of identity spoofer or anything?
I just installed the System Menu and Mii Channel, and it says that my account is going to be unlocked in six days, so yeah it's working.

(03-13-2019, 09:03 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]The reason you need a full NAND dump is your Wii's keys, which give you access to your Wii's SD exported games, games bought online, etc.
Will a dump enable me to get a fully working system menu? Right now I can't start the Mii Channel from the System Menu, but manually works (there seems to be a workaround though).

Also thank y'all for the answers, you were really helpful.
(03-14-2019, 04:04 AM)Anuskuss Wrote: [ -> ]Is this the only way to achieve a clean NAND?

No, but it's probably the easiest way. The three usual ways are doing an online system update, doing a disc update, or getting a NAND dump from a real console.

(03-14-2019, 04:04 AM)Anuskuss Wrote: [ -> ]I only installed the System Menu and it looked fine to me

That does actually not make everything work fine. The issue you describe later in the post with not being able to launch the Mii Channel from the Wii Menu is caused by not having installed some necessary files that are not part of the system menu itself.

(03-14-2019, 04:04 AM)Anuskuss Wrote: [ -> ]what does Tools -> Perform Online System Update actually do?

It downloads (almost) all necessary system files from Nintendo's servers, just like when you use the system update feature on a real Wii.

(03-14-2019, 04:04 AM)Anuskuss Wrote: [ -> ]Will a dump enable me to get a fully working system menu? Right now I can't start the Mii Channel from the System Menu, but manually works (there seems to be a workaround though).

Yes, or you could just use Perform Online System Update.
Edit: I was in the middle of correcting my previous post after I gave the Perform Online System Update a shot and damn it's really amazing and I feel dumb now  Big Grin

I wanna edit my post but it hasn't been approved yet but I still wanna comment on my post since I don't wanna spread false information:

Starting a channel from the Wii menu actually works (and so does online functionality) if you go ahead and do Tools -> Perform Online System Update. So no NUS Downloader and no manual decryption, everything just works (great work guys <3 )

I wanna point out that post like Dolphin Emulator - Wii Network Guide are almost obsolete IMO and should just advise the user to use the system update feature. Anyways all my questions were answered so thank you for everything and keep up the good work.

Best regards