Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Performance regression between 5.0-9599 and 5.0-9692
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I noticed a significant performance degradation after upgrading between the two versions in the subject.

Settings:
- D3D
- Async Ubershaders
- 6xIR 
- 4xMSAA 
- Latest nVidia drivers

I am able to play Skyward Sword without a hitch, at a solid 30 FPS with 5.0-9599.  With 5.0-9692, the degradation is immediately obvious at the title screen, where the game runs for me at 24 FPS.  If I turn off AA or lower IR to 4x, I can get 30 FPS again on the same screen.

Could this have anything to do with the recent updates to VideoCommon?

The visual difference is barely noticeable with the lower settings, so I'm not here to complain but to report the degradation in case it is of interest to the development team.  

If it is, let me know and I'll bisect the regression.

Regards.
Does Skyward Sword use EFB Peeks a lot? If so it's due to the EFB block cache change which we'll be optimizing soon.
Could this be affecting Metroid Prime 3 as well? I used the be able to get a steady 60 fps, but in the last couple of versions I'm getting around 40.
(03-05-2019, 04:13 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Does Skyward Sword use EFB Peeks a lot?  If so it's due to the EFB block cache change which we'll be optimizing soon.

I don't know if it does but the default ini file enforces EFBAccessEnable and EFBEmulateFormatChanges, which might provide a clue.

I did not see a degradation in one of my performance test cases: 
MKW, 4P splitscreen, 60FPS code, EFBTextureEnable = False
Therefore, it would make sense for the degradation to be tied to a specific emulation task.

Thanks for the information.