Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Nvidia and ubershaders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

71knight

Does anybody know if nvidia has fixed the shader locking / pipeline stall that occurs when using asynchronous ubershaders?  The forums said this was the reason dolphin stuttered when using the opengl and vulkan backends.  I am trying to decide between getting a gtx 1050 2GB or an amd RX 580.  Also would using synchronous ubershaders stop the stuttering with the nvidia gtx 1050 using the opengl or vulkan backends.  Any help appreciated.
I believe it has improved on vulkan, at least. Not sure if it's perfect though.

Is there any specific reason you can't just use the dx11 backend anyway? The Nvidia drivers tend to be pretty good (in performance and CPU usage) for all API s.

And if want to choose between a rx580 and gtx1050, I'd go for the 580 any day - that competes with the 1060 a couple of performance tiers above, so will likely be significantly faster in pretty much everything. Especially compared with the limiting 2gb of vram on the 1050 here

71knight

(03-05-2019, 09:11 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]I believe it has improved on vulkan, at least. Not sure if it's perfect though.

Is there any specific reason you can't just use the dx11 backend anyway? The Nvidia drivers tend to be pretty good (in performance and CPU usage) for all API s.

And if want to choose between a rx580 and gtx1050, I'd go for the 580 any day - that competes with the 1060 a couple of performance tiers above, so will likely be significantly faster in pretty much everything. Especially compared with the limiting 2gb of vram on the 1050 here

Well if nvidia would fix the shader locking problem, the gtx 1050 might be able to run as smooth as the rx 580 using opengl and vulkan.  And you would have access to exclusive vulkan options in dolphin like multi-threaded gpu processing.  The reason i don't like dx11 is because it still slows down when viewing the map in metroid prime.  Opengl fixes it.
(03-06-2019, 01:04 AM)71knight Wrote: [ -> ]Well if nvidia would fix the shader locking problem, the gtx 1050 might be able to run as smooth as the rx 580 using opengl and vulkan.  And you would have access to exclusive vulkan options in dolphin like multi-threaded gpu processing.  The reason i don't like dx11 is because it still slows down when viewing the map in metroid prime.  Opengl fixes it.

The 580 should run better than a 1050 with anything no matter what backend is being used, the 580 is comparable to the GTX 1060. I'm not much help with your ubershader issue, but as far as your choice of cards is concerned, the 580 is far better card overall
(03-06-2019, 01:04 AM)71knight Wrote: [ -> ]Well if nvidia would fix the shader locking problem, the gtx 1050 might be able to run as smooth as the rx 580 using opengl and vulkan.  And you would have access to exclusive vulkan options in dolphin like multi-threaded gpu processing.  The reason i don't like dx11 is because it still slows down when viewing the map in metroid prime.  Opengl fixes it.

Keep in mind that most other 3D emulators that don't use Vulkan will use OpenGL: PCSX2 for PlayStation2 (for which the D3D backend is not updated (often) as the graphics coder is only using Linux), CEMU for WiiU (for which a Vulkan backend is promised but sadly enough still nowhere in sight), Yuzu for Nintendo Switch (but one is being made right now) and Citra for 3DS (which will "never" get a Vulkan back end and will only use OpenGL) and less important a few emulators for older consoles like the Dreamcast or N64(like Reicast or PJ64, but they should be fast enough in OpenGL on any card anyway.)

So if you're not looking at just emulating the GameCube and Wii the answer isn't as black and white as some people will tell you. If you're just emulating with Dolphin and want to play native PC games then YES go get the RX580 as that will be a lot faster than the GTX1050.
No. A 580 will be universally faster here dude. AMD sucking at fast GL is really a dolphin specific thing for the most part. That Nvidia mind share is strong.
And even if there's inefficiencies caused by less mature OpenGL drivers, the 580 is a *lot* faster than a 1050 - more than enough to power through any difference in anything but the most specific of microbenchmarks.
(03-07-2019, 03:50 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]And even if there's inefficiencies caused by less mature OpenGL drivers, the 580 is a *lot* faster than a 1050 - more than enough to power through any difference in anything but the most specific of microbenchmarks.

Absolutely not true for at least 2 of the emulators I mentioned: CEMU and PCSX2... in CEMU even an old GTX660 is faster than a Vega64 or RX590 or whatever is the latest one (unless going for 4k but then still the AMD's will be slower than a 1050) Just look at all the reddit posts: I have *insert AMD GPU here* why do I only get 20 FPS where my friend who has the same CPU but has *insert slower nVidia GPU here* get 60FPS? It goes completely rampart in there. PCSX2 is a whole different beast, a lot of the games will be running okish, but will run great on any GPU that isn't AMD.

As I recently got hold of a RX570 8GB for really cheap which is in my testbench ([color=#111111]P[/color][color=#111111]entium G4560 and 2x4GB [/color][color=#111111]DDR4 2400MHz on H270 chipset.)[/color] and tested it against my old GTX750 2GB and GTX780 3GB both non-TI cards. Results were... um... worse than I expected... as in Emulation the AMD's just completely underperform for those 2 emulators and were blown away by even the GTX750...