Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Nintendo's take on Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Meneguzzi

Hi All,

First of all, let me congratulate the Dolphin team on such an impressive project and its results.
Now, I understand that this question might have popped up before (but it is virtually impossible to find a thread using just Nintendo and take/opinion as they keyword), and if so, I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to the thread so I can catch up to it. But after I heard about Dolphin from Slashdot, this got me really curious. So what is Nintendo's official position regarding this emulator? Does it have any position? Are they positive, negative neutral?
I would think from a purely rational point of view that they should be positive, especially since it seems very obvious from the warnings in the forums and all that you do not condone usage of pirated games and stuff like that, besides the fact (at least I believe it is) that Nintendo sells the consoles at a loss, so stifling a new platform for which they can sell more official games would not be a smart policy.
Anyway, Kudos to the Dolphin team!
just cause the boards and project don't support pirating, the program can still play pirated games, so i wouldnt see why nintendo would support it... just my guess though
(12-08-2009, 06:16 AM)sok98 Wrote: [ -> ]just cause the boards and project don't support pirating, the program can still play pirated games, so i wouldnt see why nintendo would support it... just my guess though

So can the Wii for that matter. piracy is rampant in any platform.

I would like to think that nintendo is far more busy working in their next platform to worry about this project. (Pray for HD)
Nintendo's current policy seems to be to ignore emulators, probably to not draw attention to them. We've never heard anything from them.

Meneguzzi

(12-08-2009, 10:18 PM)ector Wrote: [ -> ]Nintendo's current policy seems to be to ignore emulators, probably to not draw attention to them. We've never heard anything from them.

I can see that happening, at least people on the homebrew community have an alternative to modding the consoles and avoid the risk of bricking them. Which leads me to another question, I know this might unlikely in the near future, but has anybody in the homebrew community produced a game that would run real awful in the original hardware but looks good in Dolphin? Do you guys have a channel specifically for this community?
a dolphin channel on the wii now that would be interesting
(12-08-2009, 10:18 PM)ector Wrote: [ -> ]Nintendo's current policy seems to be to ignore emulators, probably to not draw attention to them. We've never heard anything from them.

That's pretty typical of all console vendors. As long as the given emu clearly and unequivocally states they don't condone piracy, and doesn't package any of the vendors' code (eg. bios's) they generally don't care. Yes one can play pirated games on an emu but that's not the only way to play them by a long shot.

Even Sony, who's the biggest control freak of the bunch, doesn't pay much attention to the likes of epsxe, pcsx2 etc.
They'll surely make some new games use weird instructions or commands to delay its emulation.

Haven't you noticed that all new games have some sort of problems that always have to be solved?
It's up to game developers not nintendo, besides wii got literally :gangraped" by homebrew coders and pirates. Every hole got exposed and exploited.
(12-30-2009, 05:53 AM)fagoatse Wrote: [ -> ]It's up to game developers not nintendo, besides wii got literally :gangraped" by homebrew coders and pirates. Every hole got exposed and exploited.
no, thats not true

the exploit team twiizers uses atm for the hackmii installer is not known to anyone outside the team (and those known by the team)

and im sure team twiizers has a few more exploits hidden from nintendo Wink

EDIT: and crediar, maker of preloader , recently used a "unknown" exploit (team twiizers knows about it but isn't saying shit about it. and so does crediar himself) to get the system's keys without any ios patches or anything special from the ios...
Pages: 1 2 3