Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: This is true?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is true? to see the original resolution of 480p is in 4: 3? Confused
Can you clarify what you mean?
(03-03-2019, 04:18 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Can you clarify what you mean?

Ok, excuse me, I want to say the following.

The Wii has a resolution of 640 × 480, is the original, if I want to play in that resolution I have to put the 4: 3 format. Not 6: 9, because if I put 6: 9 it would be 854 × 480.

Now to verify, I wanted to know if that is true. 
If you set Dolphin's internal resolution to "Native", you will get the same resolution as on a real Wii.

When you use 16:9, the image will be rendered at (roughly) 640x480 and will then be stretched to (roughly) 854x480, regardless of whether you are using Dolphin or the original console.
(03-03-2019, 04:44 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]If you set Dolphin's internal resolution to "Native", you will get the same resolution as on a real Wii.

When you use 16:9, the image will be rendered at (roughly) 640x480 and will then be stretched to (roughly) 854x480, regardless of whether you are using Dolphin or the original console.

Thanks JosJuice, now everything is correct. If I want 640 × 480 original and without stretching I have to put it in 4: 3 Smile
You will actually get slight stretching even if you use 4:3. The "raw" rendered image without stretching is not what most game developers intended the player to see.
The Wii natively supports 16:9, but since SDR content was locked to 480 lines (not 640x480, analog SDR is not pixels), it was standard practice to use non-square pixels to support widescreen. It's the same technique used by widescreen DVDs, called "Anamorphic widescreen". Since phosphors are not pixels, on a CRT display there was no reduction in quality at all! And on HDTVs they had enough extra square pixels to just brute force the problem, and scalers optimized for this scenario, so the non-square pixel source still looked correct. So yes, even though the Wii was "640x480" (it's actually not precisely that but let's ignore that detail), it natively supported widescreen without distortion.

Anyway, don't worry about it! The Wii supports 16:9 in games, and Dolphin takes care to make sure you get an accurate image.
(03-03-2019, 05:06 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]You will actually get slight stretching even if you use 4:3. The "raw" rendered image without stretching is not what most game developers intended the player to see.

Thank you very much everyone, they are experts! Now I know what I'm going to do Smile