Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Are Atom Z8500 usable now ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Dom8383

Hello

All the post I find about Intel Atoms are from 2016. Obviously Dolphin has been going forward since then, DX12 and Vulcan came and I am told that it now runs better than ever.

Back in 2016 a few were saying that many games were almost full speed, while most other ones were saying that no, even on the z8700, except three games and with hacks, everything would be 4fps...
The only videos that I find *allegedly* show Dolphin running very well on Z8300 and Z8500. They all look dubious to me, they may be jokes. Furthermore they are from 2016 too.

So, Intel Atom Z8500 devices users, tell me : how good/bad is Dolphin running nowadays on these ? Still unusable or what ?

The reason I ask is that my good old Windows tablet died yesterday and while looking for a replacement I found the Xiaomi Mi Pad 2 (Atom Z8500), Windows version, for 114€ new. More powerful tablets, and even less powerful tablets actually, all are much much more expensive. I am considering buying it. Being able to play GameCube on it or not will make me decide.

By the way, the games that I am mostly interested in playing are Harry Potter 1 (GameCube) , Go Vacation (Wii) , Kao Kangaroo 2 (GameCube) , Mario Kart (GameCube) , Piggly (GameCube). I do not know if these are particularly easy or hard to emulate.

PS : while we're at it, which would runs Dolphin better :
- A Windows device with an Intel Atom Z8500 ?
- An Android device with a Snap Dragon 636/660 ?
Neither.

Dolphin does not run well on an atom CPU. it is unlikely it ever will.

Also we dropped D3D12 ages ago.

nateliv

I have a laptop with an A8 6410.....and it sucks. With it's power limit, the CPU and GPU can't be pushed at the same time. I tried to play TL2 and it's not capable. The CPU has to be clocked down to around 1200-1400mhz in order for the GPU to clock high enough to run the game smoothly. Unfortunately, AMD removed the ability to manipulate the CPU clocks from the "Crimson" drivers....so now my laptop can't run any games.

I have a Celeron J1800 in my HTPC...and even it gets hot fast.... Of course, the performance of that little chip is insane for it's clocks and power draw. The thing draws less than 10watts and performs better in Ubuntu than my 6600K does.... If it had a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot, I'd consider replacing my i5 6600K with one....lol
(04-21-2019, 01:54 AM)nateliv Wrote: [ -> ]I have a laptop with an A8 6410.....and it sucks. With it's power limit, the CPU and GPU can't be pushed at the same time. I tried to play TL2 and it's not capable. The CPU has to be clocked down to around 1200-1400mhz in order for the GPU to clock high enough to run the game smoothly. Unfortunately, AMD removed the ability to manipulate the CPU clocks from the "Crimson" drivers....so now my laptop can't run any games.

I have a Celeron J1800 in my HTPC...and even it gets hot fast.... Of course, the performance of that little chip is insane for it's clocks and power draw. The thing draws less than 10watts and performs better in Ubuntu than my 6600K does.... If it had a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot, I'd consider replacing my i5 6600K with one....lol