Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Would an i5 650 and a Radeon HD 5750 be enough for 1080p Wii games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ruhtraeel

Hello,
After debating for a long time, I have finally decided that I am interested in using Dolphin on my HTPC instead of playing games natively on my Wii (due to higher resolutions, etc).
My HTPC has Windows 10, an i5 650, a Radeon HD 5750, and 8GB of RAM. Would this be enough to play things like Super Mario Galaxy/2 at 1080P with HD texture packs?

Thanks
The i5 650 is going to limit what games run\run well.

The 5750 won't be able to use the Vulkan backend, directx is an interesting question since the faq says it needs directx 11.1, but terascale 2 cards only support 11.0 (well specifically feature set 11_0) so I am not sure how well the directx backend will work.

I would basically recomend trying any game you want to play at default settings and see how well it runs before adding extra burdens like higher resolutions and texture packs.
As someone who has tried to play SMG 1&2 on a rather old machine (i7-2640M + HD3000), I´m afraid that CPU will be less than enough for them to run without issues.

Yes, even if not using default settings.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Int...vs876vs767

I was lucky to reach 60 FPS with CPU to EFB Access disabled on both games, and considering the i5-650 has a lower single-thread score it might do worse.

@TKSilver: The HD3000 supports D3D11 (feature level 10_1) and, as of 5.0-9140 (last build I downloaded) Dolphin still works with no mayor issues here. The Radeon HD5750 shouldn´t have a snitch in that regard.
Ok, I was just going off the FAQ since I didn't have any cards left old enough to test and since I was not sure exactly what exactly Dolphin needed in terms of specifics from the feature sets. Good to know.