Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin lagging for no reason help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Charliedaking

Operating System: Windows 10

Processor/CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

Video Card/GPU: Nividia Geforce RTX 2070

Memory/RAM: TridentZ 3000 MHz 16 GB RAM

Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 5.0-9494

When I play any game on my Dolphin the game suffers from random slow down. The FPS on the top right never changes and stays at 60/59 fps the whole time. This only started happening after I updated to Windows 10. I used to run Dolphin just fine on my laptop as well but when I updated that to Windows 10 the same problem started happening. How do I fix this?
Poor description. I assume you are tallking about the known shader compiling stuttering. Are you using Synchronous (Ubershaders)? If not, give it a try. And what other settings did you change in Dolphin, if they are not at Default anymore?
Try reinstalling your GPU drivers directly from nvidia.com/drivers, and in the installer check "perform a clean install" or whatever its called.

Windows 10 upgrades sometimes fuck with GPU drivers.

Charliedaking

(02-22-2019, 10:57 AM)RemagOrter Wrote: [ -> ]Poor description. I assume you are tallking about the known shader compiling stuttering. Are you using Synchronous (Ubershaders)? If not, give it a try. And what other settings did you change in Dolphin, if they are not at Default anymore?

Everything is set to default. I do have Synchronous shading checked. 
Hmm, 2 different computers starting to lag just because of Windows 10? I'd guess Windows is doing something stupid in the background, like updating or sniffing. Does it still lag, if you disconnect the network?
For nvidia, I believe that async ubershaders shouldn't cause any shader compilation stutter on the DX11 backend. I think there's been /some/ reports of stutter on the OpenGL and Vulkan backends - so might be worth comparing. Synchronous and asynchronous ubershaders should give the same stutter-avoiding advantages (backend-specific driver issues mentioned above exception), but the synchronous version gives a *much* higher gpu load, so even a 2070 may struggle at high IRs. And using more power than needed always feels bad, and gives the expected heat/power use increases.

Also might be worth checking you have vsync disabled in the nvidia control panel - and maybe dolphin's setting too? Sometimes that can cause stutter as the clocks drift and get out of sync.

Also make sure the windows power settings are set to "performance". It may be that it's mis-recognising the load and clocking down to save power too much.