Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: No pointer (only) in MotionPlus games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

hgdagon

I have a (Non-TR) Wii Remote Plus. I've tried Wii Play: Motion. I can navigate the menu with the D-Pad, but it's useless, since other games need a pointer, so I can only play Cone Zone. In-game I can control the Mii just fine, and actually the whole thing is surprisingly responsive. I've also tried Skyward Sword. If I start the game with the Nunchuk disconnected, it passes the initial tests, but then prompts to point to the center of the screen, which I cannot do. Just to be sure, I fired up a Non-MotionPlus game (specifically Dead Space: Extraction),and the pointer does work, albeit not very accurate, since I don't have a DolphinBar yet, I'm using 2 little light bulbs.

This is, possibly, unrelated, but there's some crackling sound coming out of the remote in Wii Play: Motion.
It definitely sounds like your sensor bar solution isn't cutting it. You should probably get a stand alone sensor bar, like this one.

As for wii remote speaker crackling, only Bluetooth Passthrough can fix that.
(02-21-2019, 03:57 PM)hgdagon Wrote: [ -> ]I have a (Non-TR) Wii Remote Plus. I've tried Wii Play: Motion. I can navigate the menu with the D-Pad, but it's useless, since other games need a pointer, so I can only play Cone Zone. In-game I can control the Mii just fine, and actually the whole thing is surprisingly responsive. I've also tried Skyward Sword. If I start the game with the Nunchuk disconnected, it passes the initial tests, but then prompts to point to the center of the screen, which I cannot do. Just to be sure, I fired up a Non-MotionPlus game (specifically Dead Space: Extraction),and the pointer does work, albeit not very accurate, since I don't have a DolphinBar yet, I'm using 2 little light bulbs.

This is, possibly, unrelated, but there's some crackling sound coming out of the remote in Wii Play: Motion.

Are the light bulbs sending out infrared light? If not and you really want to use an exotic alternative to a sensor bar, then use infrared lights or candles. But nothing will work really good exeapt a real sensor bar.
To the crackling sound, like mentioned above only bluetooth passthrough will fix that. And don't forget every Wiimote differs in soundquality. I had to open and clean one of mine to make it's sound good again. So much dust, bah. My luck the speaker wasn't really broken.
You can get proper Wiimote sound outside of Bluetooth Passthrough with -TR Wiimotes. For non-TR Wiimotes, only BT Passthrough Mode will give proper sound...

hgdagon

(02-21-2019, 04:46 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]It definitely sounds like your sensor bar solution isn't cutting it.

(02-21-2019, 10:29 PM)RemagOrter Wrote: [ -> ]Are the light bulbs sending out infrared light? If not and you really want to use an exotic alternative to a sensor bar, then use infrared lights or candles.

Like I said, cursor shows up fine in all non-MotionPlus games. Sometime it jumps from one edge of the screen to the other, but nothing game-breaking, I'm still able to aim and shoot at the intended enemy.

(02-21-2019, 04:46 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]You should probably get a stand alone sensor bar, like this one.

Well, that's a bit expensive... I'm not in America, so $60 is a bit much, won't the Mayflash Dolphinbar work just fine? That's what I'm planning to get, it's gonna take quite a while to ship to my country, and no local store has it or have ever heard of it. Should I go for an expensive solution? Is the Dolphinbar not good enough?

(02-21-2019, 04:46 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]As for wii remote speaker crackling, only Bluetooth Passthrough can fix that.

(02-22-2019, 04:40 AM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]You can get proper Wiimote sound outside of Bluetooth Passthrough with -TR Wiimotes. For non-TR Wiimotes, only BT Passthrough Mode will give proper sound...

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried and  I'm still trying. Dolphin just crashes...
(02-22-2019, 11:57 AM)hgdagon Wrote: [ -> ]Well, that's a bit expensive... I'm not in America, so $60 is a bit much, won't the Mayflash Dolphinbar work just fine? That's what I'm planning to get, it's gonna take quite a while to ship to my country, and no local store has it or have ever heard of it. Should I go for an expensive solution? Is the Dolphinbar not good enough?

I would not recommend the DolphinBar if you already have a working Bluetooth solution, because the DolphinBar may (depending on the firmware revision) refuse to let you use its sensor bar functionality if you're not using its Bluetooth functionality. I'd recommend getting any sensor bar other than the DolphinBar, not necessarily the one that May linked to. They are usually cheaper than the DolphinBar – I'm not sure why that one costs as much as $60.
I have a PowerA Wireless Ultra Sensor Bar too, and it works very well for me so far. One downside is that it's a real battery eater. You need 4 batteries for it, so i recommend getting 8 rechargeable batteries for it...

I think it is expensive, because the production for it stopped several years ago. There should be some others that work good enough for most people, and that are much cheaper. For most people getting a wii with an original sensor bar is cheaper...

Also, +1 on not getting a Dolphinbar, if you already have a working bluetooth adapter. It has a tendency of burning out its IR-LEDs, and if that should happen to you, you'd have 2 bluetooth adapters and no sensor bar. The latest firmware of the Dolphinbar adresses this problem somewhat, but i'm not sure if that's just delaying the death of the IR-LEDs instead of preventing it.
(02-22-2019, 05:38 PM)mimimi Wrote: [ -> ]I have a PowerA Wireless Ultra Sensor Bar too, and it works very well for me so far. One downside is that it's a real battery eater. You need 4 batteries for it, so i recommend getting 8 rechargeable batteries for it...

I think it is expensive, because the production for it stopped several years ago. There should be some others that work good enough for most people, and that are much cheaper. For most people getting a wii with an original sensor bar is cheaper...

Also, +1 on not getting a Dolphinbar, if you already have a working bluetooth adapter. It has a tendency of burning out its IR-LEDs, and if that should happen to you, you'd have 2 bluetooth adapters and no sensor bar. The latest firmware of the Dolphinbar adresses this problem somewhat, but i'm not sure if that's just delaying the death of the IR-LEDs instead of preventing it.

True, The DolphinBar used to have it's infraret LED's burning all the time. The latest Firmware makes that the LED's only burn if a Wiimote is connected.
(02-22-2019, 05:38 PM)mimimi Wrote: [ -> ]I have a PowerA Wireless Ultra Sensor Bar too, and it works very well for me so far. One downside is that it's a real battery eater. You need 4 batteries for it, so i recommend getting 8 rechargeable batteries for it...

4 batteries are pretty much 5 to 6v. Just solder a usb cable and you are set.

hgdagon

OK, I have my eyes set on this. Would you guys suggest I buy this one? It's weird, I used to think, that Mayflash was the brand and everything else was a knockoff, so I never bothered to look at any other listings.
Pages: 1 2