Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Passthrough working without Whitelist?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. Today i downloaded a fresh copy of Dolphin x64 5.0-9616 and made it portable. I made all my settings but forgot one thing.
I didn't put anything in the "Whitelisted USB Passthrough Devices" List, but choose "Passthrough a Bluetooth adapter" in Controller Settings.
When i started a Wii game, i normally Synced my wiimote and it worked.

So my questions are, why does Dolphin find and use my Bluetooth Stick without it beeing in the Whitelist, and is Dolphin saving any files somewhere outside of it's folder even if it is made portable?

Don't forget i'm a DAU. Please be patient if i ask silly questions.
Thank you in advance.
I wonder what a DAU is.
(02-18-2019, 10:59 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder what a DAU is.

Dumbest Assumable User
That whitelist is for USB passthrough feature. Dolphin never used that list for BT Passthrough, if it sees a BT Device with appropriate drivers (e.g. WinUSB, UsbDk, libusbK, etc) and you've selected BT Passthrough mode in Controller settings, Dolphin will try to use it...
(02-18-2019, 11:27 AM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]That whitelist is for USB passthrough feature. Dolphin never used that list for BT Passthrough, if it sees a BT Device with appropriate drivers (e.g. WinUSB, UsbDk, libusbK, etc) and you've selected BT Passthrough mode in Controller settings, Dolphin will try to use it...

OK, i found the USB and Bluetooth Passthrough Wikis. Cleared everything, thanks alot.
(Following isn't thread related i think, but maybe it is? I don't know.)
But opened a new question (i'm still a DAU).
So, the USB Passthrough Wiki, says this:
"Since 4.0.2, Dolphin has the ability to passthrough USB HID devices designed for use with Wii software. 5.0-2352 enables USB passthrough for all devices."
And i own a Mayflash Dolphin Bar that i used before Bluetooth passthrough. I know it isn't compatible with bluetooth passthrough because it doesn't expose its BT adapter to windows.
The thing is, in Mode 4 of the Dolphin Bar, it shows 4 USB HID devices in Zadig. And i read here "https://github.com/wiiuse/wiiuse/issues/66" this:
"The bar has 4 modes, three focus on emulating mouse+keyboard or a gamepad, the mode 4 acts as a pass-through for the connected Wiimotes, re-sending the received Bluetooth HID messages as normal USB HID."
Couldn't the Dolphin Bar be used through USB Passthrough instead of Bluetooth Passthrough?
Sorry for asking this. While i'm writing this ,i thought this have been asked a million times allready, for sure.

Thanks anyway. Today i learned the difference between USB and Bluetooth passthrough. That's a win. Smile
No, we can't use the DolphinBar in passthrough because it doesn't directly expose the bluetooth adapter.

It was developed before we had Bluetooth Passthrough.
Let's try to clear this up: USB Passthrough feature in Dolphin allow you to use USB accessories for Wii on emulated games that supports/needs them (e.g. Wii Speak, You Shape Camera, Skylanders Portal of Power, etc). On Dolphin 4.0.2 this feature was limited and worked only with some accessories (the accessories that communicated with the Wii through USB HID -- which is only one of many USB communication modes available), but in recent development versions this feature got overhauled and should now work with any USB accessory that also works on a real Wii, regardless of the communication mode it uses.

Then there's BT Passthough. On a real Wii, the BT Module inside it is also an internal USB device that the games talks directly to. Prior Dolphin having the BT Passthrough feature, the way it handled real Wiimotes was by emulating that BT module the Wii games expected to find (in fact Wii games would just freeze in a black screen at boot if they don't find the BT adapter!) while the actual communication with the Wiimotes (including syncing/pairing) was handled through the Bluetooth stack of your PC's operating system.

Mayflash Dolphin Bar in mode 4 handles the connection to the real Wiimotes by itself and only feed the data being sent/received to/from them to your computer, that's the USB HID devices you see in Device Manager (keep in mind they have no relation to the USB HID mode that was the only one supported on USB Passthrough feature from Dolphin 4.0.2 to Dolphin 5.0-2352). Dolphin then takes the data coming to/from those USB HID devices exposed by the Dolphin Bar and feeds that into the emulated BT adapter mentioned earlier.

Sometime after Mayflash Dolphin Bar was released, Dolphin gained a new mode, BT Passthrough mode. On this mode, instead of emulating a BT Adapter and letting something else take care of syncing/pairing (e.g. your OS BT Stack or Dolphin Bar in mode 4), Dolphin simply exposes your BT adapter directly to the emulated game so it can handle everything by itself (like it's done when running games on a real Wii). As the Dolphin Bar in mode 4 will still handle the syncing/pairing by itself (and since there's no way to directly talk to the actual BT Adapter inside it), Dolphin can't use the Dolphin Bar on BT Passthrough mode...

This post ended a little bit longer than I expected but I hope it clear things up for you
Yes, that explaines everything.
Thank you for the detaied, but easy to follow and understandable descripton of how everything works.