Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Advices on budget PCs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Nassence

Hello all, I want to buy a budget PC, and I would like to have advices on some builds. My goal is to play the main Mario games (from Sunshine to the Galaxies) at full speed, with no specific enhancements, just the basic fluid experience. Here are the different builds :

CPU : i3-8100 3,6 Ghz VS i5 8400 2.8 Ghz
GPU : Intel UHD 630
RAM : 4 Go

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3,6 Ghz
GPU : AMD Radeon RX Vega 11
Ram : 4 Go

CPU : i5 7400 3 Ghz
GPU : Nvidia GT 730
Ram : 8 Go

So I think the processors are all good, but I don't know if the GPU and the RAM should be considered too.

PS : Sorry for my English, thank you.
For GPUs, the vega11 will likely be fastest. The gt730 will likely be no faster than the integrated on the i5 7400, so it likely completely useless in the third build.

So the question becomes do you want to favor CPU performance, as in build 1, or GPU, as in build 2. Though dolphin doesn't need much ram, be aware that for other games 4gb may be quite limiting, and all integrated GPUs love more ram bandwidth (as it's shared with the CPU), so try to make sure it's dual channel (that means there's 2 sticks of ram - 2 2gb ram sticks in dual channel mode will be noticably faster than a single 4gb stick in single channel mode)

Also for the most part, if you're free willing to tweak things a bit, you can get a ryzen 2200g to about the same performance as a 2400g. It might be worth saving a few $ here (or spending the difference on something else, like a second ram stick Smile

I can't really answer this, as CPU requirements change quite a bit per game, and I haven't the knowledge to say one way or the other. But once you get a CPU that is "fast enough", there's no advantage to faster still, while on GPU performance you can always take advantage of headroom by increasing IR or AA to make things look better.

Nassence

[quote='JonnyH' pid='488182' dateline='1550255905']

So the question becomes do you want to favor CPU performance, as in build 1, or GPU, as in build 2.

As I said, I would like a fluid gameplay with no graphic enhancements, so the first build may be better ? But as you said, the RAM limit may compromise the fluidity, so I don't know if I can rely on this build.

Thanks for the details though !
So like everything there is going to be a floor for CPU performance you really don't want to go below because it will limit what games will work and how well the others will work. Luckily both of those CPU are good for Dolphin except for some edge cases and what you want to are not really those (though some of the mario games can be demanding). So either will do well. For fluid gameplay over enhancements then you should favor CPU, but honestly the balance of the Ryzen is probably better. The CPU is good (not quite the intel) and the GPU is vastly better then the intel.\

Also as someone who owned a 730 variant (well the 640 which was renamed to the 730....) it really depends on which 730. The gddr5 variant with the 64bit buffer is actually good and most of the way to a 750 (non ti), the gddr3 is bad and really is not better then the integrated 630 solution on the CPU, the ddr3 (yes ddr like normal ram ddr) is complete junk and I would say it was good for video playback.... but I don't want to lie.

Edit: also both integrated gpu solutions really benefit from more ram and quick ram at that to work their best, so the extra ram is not a bad suggestion.

Nassence

Ok so I will consider this kind of build with more RAM. Thank you for the informations !