Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Check Partition Integrity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I wanted to know exactly what was doing the function "Check Partition Integrity" and what it means when the test fails...

I have a lot of dumps that will pass the SHA-1 and MD5 tests in Wii Backup Manager, but some of them, when I use the "Check Partition Integrity" in Dolphin, I get error message "Integrity check for Partition 0 failed. The disc image is most likely corrupted or has been patched incorrectly."

However, all these dumps seem to be playing fine.

Thanks for help!
It checks that none of the SHA1 hashes that are stored in the partition data are invalid. (It skips blocks that looks completely invalid, though. Usually these are scrubbed blocks.)

What exactly do the SHA1 and MD5 tests in Wii Backup Manager do? Hash the whole disc image and compare it to a database of disc images?
Wii ISOs are encrypted in a way that allows checking if the data on the partition is valid, and that's what "Check Partition Integrity" in Dolphin does. If it's failing, then either your dump isn't correct or your ISO was modified with something that didn't fix the hashes and hence made the check fail...
(02-13-2019, 02:09 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly do the SHA1 and MD5 tests in Wii Backup Manager do? Hash the whole disc image and compare it to a database of disc images?

To my understanding and what I read from Wii Backup Manager thread on GBAtemp, the SHA-1 test is supposed to be calculating all the sums and comparing with those stored on the disc, while I suppose MD5 compares the MD5 with GameTDB database...

I don't understand why the 2 softwares give different results. My dumps are scrubbed in WBFS however, not in ISO. Is the "Check Partition Integrity" test supposed to work alright on scrubbed WBFS too?
(02-13-2019, 02:25 AM)nicnac Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand why the 2 softwares give different results. My dumps are scrubbed in WBFS however, not in ISO. Is the "Check Partition Integrity" test supposed to work alright on scrubbed WBFS too?

Yeah, it should work with scrubbed WBFS too. It is possible that Dolphin actually is doing something wrong, but I can't really say since I don't know what in the disc image it's reacting to.

Scrubbed WBFS will not work when comparing hashes to GameTDB, though.
(02-13-2019, 03:15 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]It is possible that Dolphin actually is doing something wrong, but I can't really say since I don't know what in the disc image it's reacting to.

Is there a log function I can activate and then I can show you the log?
(02-13-2019, 06:48 AM)nicnac Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a log function I can activate and then I can show you the log?

Yes, but it only prints the offsets and nothing else (like information about what is supposed to be at those offsets), so I don't think I'll be able to tell you much based on it.
No problem, and thank you for answering this fast to a noob on his first post, I appreciate!

I scanned a few of my dumps wit WIT (Wiimms ISO tools), which is a command line interface tool to do almost anything you want with your GCN and Wii dumps and which handles many file formats (convert/compress/verify/and many other functions I don't know about), and so far it appears that WIT is giving me the same results as Wii Backup Manager... I mean the games that pass, they pass in both programs, and the games that don't, they don't in both programs... So it is possible indeed that Dolphin's integrity check is broken.

I did not have time to have WIT scan all my library yet, but at the end I can come and update this thread to know if the results from WIT were the same as with Wii Backup Manager or not.

Thanks!
(02-13-2019, 03:15 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]It is possible that Dolphin actually is doing something wrong, but I can't really say since I don't know what in the disc image it's reacting to.

Hello,

It appears that, most likely, there is a problem with the function "Check Partition Integrity" in Dolphin.

I have scanned all my library with both Wiimms ISO Tools (WIT) and Wii Backup Manager. Both check that the calculated checksums are valid compared to those stored on the disc, and both gave me almost the same results, with the exception that WIT identified 2 more invalid games than Wii Backup Manager. However, when I start checking the games with Dolphin (and I did not do the whole library, because in Dolphin I have to do it one by one), I get way too many invalid games which were identified as valid in the 2 other softwares. In fact, in Dolphin, I got around 1 invalid game out of 4 so far.

These tests were run on a library of around 500 games.

Thanks for helping!
I too have a couple of games that that are reported as failing validation by Dolphin but pass WiiBackupManager's test:
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Sonic Colors

I still have less than half my library to go through but those are the ones that have failed so far.