Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Borderless fullscreen behavior has changed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some years ago, in the days of Windows 7 and with my old hardware, I used to turn off vsync and set Dolphin for borderless fullscreen.  This would give me some performance benefit and still prevented the game screen from tearing.

However, now with Windows 10 and my present hardware, borderless fullscreen no longer prevents screen tear.  In this thread it was suggested that disabling fullscreen optimizations should restore the old behavior, but that is not the case.  I have fullscreen optimizations disabled, but if I don't enable vsync in Dolphin I still get screen tear in borderless fullscreen.

Does anybody know how to restore the old behavior?
Microsoft has been messing around with wddm (windows display driver model) in most of their major patches to windows 10, so any advice that worked previously is not guaranteed to survive past the next big "something" update Microsoft releases. Sorry if disabling the optimizations is not giving you the results you want, but short of somehow convincing Microsoft to stop screwing up all other programs so the ones bought from their store using their UWP work slightly better.... I am not sure how to fix it that won't probably be broken again.
I was hoping that would not be the answer, but suspected it :-)
Thanks for the info.
One can only hope that the next Windows 10 update with WDDM 2.6 scheduled for release in a couple months will fix this.
Let’s hope so.
Odd question, have you tried enabling vsync through nvidia's control panel (for dolphin.exe) and leaving it disabled in Dolphin settings menu. I just checked but that is how I have mine set, but out of habit I tend to do this and disable power savings for all emulator programs I run in Nvidia control panel due to cards not always clocking correctly and to fix other issues. Might be worth a try.
Both Dolphin's native and NCP enforced vsync work fine. The reason I was inquiring about this is because I have some connectivity issues with BT passthrough in NSMBW with vsync on, whether in Dolphin or NCP. I was exploring using borderless fullscreen and disabling vsync to see if I could work around the issue and still avoid screen tear.

The setup I have now is mostly stable so it's not that big a of a deal.
" I still get screen tear in borderless fullscreen."
How do you do that? Teach me please!

Lol joking aside, that's what I want post 391+ nvidia drivers.

Now today they patched some security features in and I'm still stuck at 391 while the new driver is 417 something.

My pcsx2 and ppsspp dx11 emulators suck ass with 417 drivers. These drivers force vsync for borderless, regardless of control panel setting.

If you want this behavior may be get the latest drivers? Assuming you're at older ones? Because I'd kill for having a driver that can run Battlefield 5 while giving me the option to turn off vysnc in borderless games.