Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Anyway to rip games without Wii/GC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

themooseofNJ

Hello!
I've used the Wii and have been playing some Gamecube games for as long as I can remember. It will definitely be fun (if I can get my crap laptop to run it) to play some of my favorite games.
However, I was wondering, since my Wii is long past of its time and practically fallen apart, if there was any reliable way to dump games without a Wii? This is most DEFINITELY answered somewhere else, but I'm still curious.
I don't really want to borrow someone's Wii for it to return Homebrewed up the kazoo like my old Wii (which, unironically, is the reason why it has fallen apart)....but since the Nintendo Optical Discs are basically DVD's, I'm sure there would be other ways to rip games without a Wii.
Help.
Thanks.
Certain old DVD drives were able to do it with a firmware mod, but those DVD drives are really rare now and pretty difficult to find. No current drives will cooperate with that trick. It's really best to use a Wii for dumping at this point.
Honestly the cheapest way to do it would be to buy a used Wii since it sold so well it sells for $20-30 used pretty easily. The drives that are compatible are rare and on the off chance that you can find them they can be oddly significantly more expensive if the person knows about it's other use (which seems odd to me), or significantly cheeper if you are lucky at a tech dump type place and happen to be lucky.

The added benefit of the Wii is if a game has issues on your laptop you will still have another way to play it.
May said just that in fewer words.
Or, if you don't have emulation issues, you can sell the Wii again for the same amount you bought it for.

themooseofNJ

Alrighty then. I'm probably better off buying a new Wii than attempting to do a bunch of stuff with my embarrassing PC (that surprisingly gets the job done for my type of gaming [i.e. the sims]).... Thanks anyway. I'll probably be more content that way. (even though the Wii Shop Channel just closed)