Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphine takes up to 15 seconds to open, close, and enter options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

bwritter

For some reason, on this machine Dolphin takes multiple seconds to respond to my input to the UI. This happens when opening the program, closing it, and navigating between views. It does not experience this lag when making selections within those views. It is the only program on this machine to exhibit this kind of issue. How might I go about getting a log or some other information to track down why this might be occurring?
Dolphin does an unusual amount of filesystem access when opening, closing, and changing settings in the UI. This is a known bug in our issue tracker.

It's possible anti-malware software (or something else) on your system is examining at all these filesystem changes and causing slowdowns.

Running dolphin off a network drive or very slow hard disk could also cause slowness.

bwritter

That's a good suggestion, and something I can test for. This machine has two drives and no antivirus (though I'm sure whatever Windows Defender integrated into Windows still has jurisdiction there). I have made sure the correct rapid storage drivers are installed for the hardware. Drive 1 is an M.2 PCIe disk that goes at hold-your-butt speeds, and Disk 2 is a standard SATA III SSD.

Unfortunately, Dolphin exhibits the same behavior on each.

While Dolphin is trying to figure itself out, the Windows Resource Manager shows no noticeable increase in disk, cpu, nor memory operations.
(02-02-2019, 02:00 PM)bwritter Wrote: [ -> ]That's a good suggestion, and something I can test for. This machine has two drives and no antivirus (though I'm sure whatever Windows Defender integrated into Windows still has jurisdiction there). I have made sure the correct rapid storage drivers are installed for the hardware. Drive 1 is an M.2 PCIe disk that goes at hold-your-butt speeds, and Disk 2 is a standard SATA III SSD.

Unfortunately, Dolphin exhibits the same behavior on each.

While Dolphin is trying to figure itself out, the Windows Resource Manager shows no noticeable increase in disk, cpu, nor memory operations.

One of the dumb things that Dolphin does is try to create directories (that typically already exist) like 200 times.
Perhaps Windows Resource Manager doesn't consider this type of thing disk access.

bwritter

I would still imagine this is something wrong on my end. I have a very similar second computer, without the m.2, that doesn't have this problem. What would be a good way for me to get data on which functions are taking so long to complete?