Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Should i swap from project 64 to dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Im using both emulators right now, but i really only want to use one. Should i swap from project 64 to dolphin so i can play all my games on one emulator?

I mostly play ocarina of time and majoras mask, plus some super mario 64 occasionally.
In general: No, you're going to get better performance in N64 games on an N64 emulator along with nicer graphics. The VC/GC ports of OoT and Majora's Mask have various differences and can even randomly crash in some cases.

Mario 64 is pretty fine in Dolphin though.
(02-02-2019, 03:09 AM)emuguy Wrote: [ -> ]Im using two emulators right now, and i really only want to use one.

Should i swap from PJ64 to dolphin and only use dolphin as my emulator?

I mostly play ocarina of time, majoras mask, mario sunshine, luigis mansion and sometimes a bit of mario 64.

(02-02-2019, 04:09 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]In general:  No, you're going to get better performance in N64 games on an N64 emulator along with nicer graphics.  The VC/GC ports of OoT and Majora's Mask have various differences and can even randomly crash in some cases.

Except if you want to use my texture pack and these awesome AR / Gecko codes for OoT and MM. Collector's Edition and Master Quest discs obviously. Not the VC versions. I am not even sure there is a proper code for 30 FPS on Project64.

The Collector's Edition / Master Quest discs have some interesting changes. For starters, it actually supports 60 Hz for the PAL versions instead of just 16.67 FPS on the N64 version. There is Master Quest too, uniquely released for the GameCube if you prefer an extra challenge for Ocarina of Time. The GameCube discs features some small changes as well, mostly glitch fixes and including a case of fixing grammar in Majora's Mask. And if you're a Japanse player, Owl Statues now have Quick Saving too (at the expensive of the 3rd save slot).

If interested in more of these changes:
https://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Oc...be_Version
https://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ma...s#GameCube

Also, the GameCube versions still have the Rumble support. It got removed in the VC versions.

I got this nice texture pack for Super Mario 64 for Dolphin as well for ya, as well some nifty codes.

If you don't care about all that, you're better off on a N64 emulator such as Project64, which is much lighter too use.

But... if you got powerful hardware, then your computer will likely not care about the increased system requirements thrown at it and just laugh at it. OoT, MM and SM64 are certainly way more demanding on Dolphin than on an emulator such as Project64, but there are far more demanding games out there on Dolphin (*glares at Xenoblade Chronicles*). If you are able to run Super Mario Sunshine just fine, you should be fine with OoT, MM and SM64 in Dolphin too. If your system can handle Super Mario Sunshine in 60 FPS too (another nifty Gecko Code), then you really have nothing to fear.
(02-02-2019, 04:09 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]In general:  No, you're going to get better performance in N64 games on an N64 emulator along with nicer graphics.  The VC/GC ports of OoT and Majora's Mask have various differences and can even randomly crash in some cases.

Im not playing the virtual console version right now. Im playing the ocarina of time master quest version which actually has a higher internal resolution than the nintendo 64 version.
(02-06-2019, 02:16 PM)emuguy Wrote: [ -> ]Im not playing the virtual console version. Im playing the ocarina of time/ocarina of time master quest version which actually has a higher internal resolution than the n64 versions.

Shouldn't be really relevant for emulators since you can already upscale the Internal Resolution (IR). Dolphin can. So does Project64. You can easily upscale to 1080p or even 4K IR on either emulator. You are basically overriding the resolution of the game itself, in multipliers. Since the N64 version has a lower IR, you can upscale to your desired IR a bit more precisely (since you usually increase the IR in multipliers). Now increasing FPS or the refresh rate... That's an entirely different matter...
(02-06-2019, 06:43 PM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]Shouldn't be really relevant for emulators since you can already upscale the Internal Resolution (IR). Dolphin can. So does Project64. You can easily upscale to 1080p or even 4K IR on either emulator. You are basically overriding the resolution of the game itself, in multipliers. Since the N64 version has a lower IR, you can upscale to your desired IR a bit more precisely (since you usually increase the IR in multipliers). Now increasing FPS or the refresh rate... That's an entirely different matter...

Im not sure why you are bringing graphics into it.. its mostly for practical purposes that i just want to stick with one emulator
(02-07-2019, 03:03 AM)emuguy Wrote: [ -> ]Im not sure why you are bringing graphics into it.. its mostly for practical purposes that i just want to stick with one emulator

Since you were mentioning it?

(02-06-2019, 02:16 PM)emuguy Wrote: [ -> ]Im playing the ocarina of time/ocarina of time master quest version which actually has a higher internal resolution than the n64 versions.
I went with dolphin. I found out that you can actually play nintendo 64 games on dolphin, so im going to give it a try.
Depends on your definition of "one emulator". But there is a dolphin core in retroarch, multiple N64 cores you can use, multiple snes cores, multiple nes cores, and many many more. The problems are that since it is not the dolphin program you won't be able to get help on these forums and you will have to wait longer for updates since not only does dolphin need to update but the libretro team will have to port those changes into the Dolphin core.

The last option is to get a unified frontend program like big box, or playnite, or emulation station, ect. These will allow for all of your emulation (and sometimes steam\origin\uplay\ect) library to be put under one program to make launching whatever you want to play pretty easy. There will be some extra setup compared to just using multiple emulators on their own, but once you set things up you might also gain some nice bonuses. For example some emulators do not do individual game settings well (*cough PCSX2 *cough) and a lot of these frontends allow for that to work much much better.
I just wanted to say that im playing my nintendo 64 games on dolphin right now. It works pretty well.
Pages: 1 2