Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My hardware sucks can I still play Mario
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

NasalDrip

I have a good copy of mario sunshine, and I know this for sure. I tried to run it on all three graphics settings and the first two had things like "oh does it support this and this" and then crashed with just a simple APPCRASH thing. But using software rendering gave me these crash details:

Problem signature:
 Problem Event Name: BEX64
 Application Name: Dolphin.exe
 Application Version: 0.0.0.0
 Application Timestamp: 576cf5f6
 Fault Module Name: StackHash_1dc2
 Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
 Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
 Exception Offset: 0000000000000000
 Exception Code: c0000005
 Exception Data: 0000000000000008
 OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
 Locale ID: 1033
 Additional Information 1: 1dc2
 Additional Information 2: 1dc22fb1de37d348f27e54dbb5278e7d
 Additional Information 3: eae3
 Additional Information 4: eae36a4b5ffb27c9d33117f4125a75c2

Can someone please tell me if this means I can play Mario or not?
Thanks Tongue

Processor
AMD Turion™ 64 X2 TL-62
Memory (RAM)
4.00 GB
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M
The reason you're probably crashing with OpenGL and D3D is due to an outdated GPU. Vulkan is obviously out of the question, but that GPU of yours only supports OpenGL 2.1 and D3D9. D3D9 was removed from Dolphin ages ago, and the minimum requirement for OpenGL has been 3.3 for a while now. Dolphin should report an error when trying to use any of those backends that your GPU can't handle, but I guess you probably have ancient drivers that are doing something weird, or something Dolphin stopped supporting long ago.

As for the software renderer, I can't say why it's crashing, however, even if it didn't you wouldn't be able to play games using it. You'd literally be rendering the game in frames per minute(s) rather than frames per second. Dolphin's software renderer is demanding even for modern, high-end CPUs, and there's no way your Turion is going to run the software renderer at acceptable speeds.

So, to really answer your question, no, you can't really play Mario, not in any way you'd actually enjoy.
TL;DR, build yourself a new PC. One preferably with Haswell-class or newer Intel processors or Ryzen APUs and newer for AMD.
The software renderer still needs a GL 3.2 context IIRC.

So thats why it crashed.

NasalDrip

(01-31-2019, 12:00 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]The reason you're probably crashing with OpenGL and D3D is due to an outdated GPU. Vulkan is obviously out of the question, but that GPU of yours only supports OpenGL 2.1 and D3D9. D3D9 was removed from Dolphin ages ago, and the minimum requirement for OpenGL has been 3.3 for a while now. Dolphin should report an error when trying to use any of those backends that your GPU can't handle, but I guess you probably have ancient drivers that are doing something weird, or something Dolphin stopped supporting long ago.

As for the software renderer, I can't say why it's crashing, however, even if it didn't you wouldn't be able to play games using it. You'd literally be rendering the game in frames per minute(s) rather than frames per second. Dolphin's software renderer is demanding even for modern, high-end CPUs, and there's no way your Turion is going to run the software renderer at acceptable speeds.

So, to really answer your question, no, you can't really play Mario, not in any way you'd actually enjoy.
Ok thanks, I know my laptop sucks really badly, I can't even run deltarune or something at its proper rate. I got this thing ages ago, and I always feel like the battery is going to explode no matter how many times I replace it. Alright, I'll just download it on my PC. Kind of a bummer that I can't transport it anywhere, but I'll survive.
Fwiw, you can basically buy any mid-range $400 laptop and that'll be sufficient for Dolphin these days. I have an Acer laptop with an i3-7100U and it handles most games without noticeable issues (most of the time at 1x native resolution though). So if you're ever looking to upgrade, just know it doesn't take much to get a good baseline experience with modem hardware. We can help you with such matters anytime you want, so feel free to ask in the future.