Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Slow/Lag when Loading New Sound or Music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

Last December, I purchased a GTX 1080 because I decided to go the PC gaming route. Of course, with this new powerful card, I decided to also tip my toes into the “more recent console” emulation scene (higher than 64-bit).

The legendary Dolphin emulator was of course on top of my list since I own more than 50 NGC/Wii titles. So after dumping all of my games using CleanRip, transferring the emulator and ISOs to my dedicated 2TB gaming SSD, syncing one of my Wiimotes to my PC and configuring Dolphin to run on 4K, I started loading some games.

I was amazed how to games looked compared to running them on the Wii U or even my Wii with components on my XRGB-Mini. That being said, I am running into a common issue with all of my games. Whenever a new music or sound effects needs to be loaded, the game jams for a second or half a second. After it's in “memory” or whatever, then it has no issue playing again for the rest of the stage.

Example 1: In New Super Mario Wii, when I pickup a Star, the game jams for half a second and then the invincibility music plays. If I pickup another star in the same level, I get no issues.

Example 2: In Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, when the announcer names a character for the first time, it jams for a fraction of a second, but if I un-select that character and chose it again, no issues. During gameplay, when the music starts and the characters introduce themselves, I get the issue. When they say their attack moves for the first time, I also get to issue, same deal when it's a super flashy attack for the first time.

I've been looking at videos of people playing in 4K, they don't seem to have this issue. Before I start messing with every settings in the emulator, is anyone aware of what's specifically causing this?

Thank you
If you're sure that it's caused by loading sounds or music, the cause is most likely that you've turned on the "Speed Up Disc Transfer Rate" setting in the game properties, so turn that off if you have it on. But it sounds like the problem could also be shader compilation (the first time you see a graphical effect), in which case using asynchronous ubershaders helps.
Also a super slow harddrive or a harddrive that likes to go into powersaving will cause this.
(01-30-2019, 07:55 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]If you're sure that it's caused by loading sounds or music, the cause is most likely that you've turned on the "Speed Up Disc Transfer Rate" setting in the game properties, so turn that off if you have it on. But it sounds like the problem could also be shader compilation (the first time you see a graphical effect), in which case using asynchronous ubershaders helps.

Speed Up Disc Transfer Rate did the trick, thanks