Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How to configure an ultrabook CPU for Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My previous laptop had an i7-4702mq at 2.2ghz (TB up to 3.2ghz). I used to set the multiplier in Intel XTU to about 2.2ghz so that the system would stick to a certain speed but more importantly use multiple cores (rather than just one).

Unfortunately my new CPU (i7 8565u) doesn't support XTU so I am trying to use ThrottleStop. When I turn of TB, the speed is at 1.8ghz which is way too low for Dolphin. When I set the TB limit to 30 in the FIVR menu, it sticks to that ceiling but the speed continues to vary.

As a result I'm getting worse performance, any ideas on how I can get it to stick to one speed?
First off I am guessing ypu already set window's power plan to maximum performance (plugged it or on battery depending on how you use it when you use dolphin).

The issue you are probably running into is either an actual power or thermal limit. You are using a chip with 1/2 to 1/3 the thermal\power limit (assuming it is the 15w version since the reasonably good 25w version is really rare). As a result turbo boost is more of an actual turbo boost and not a sustainable frequency in a lot of implementations of the 8th gen mobile U chips. The added cores on an ultra low power pard doesn't really help either. I have seen these issues on the i7 8550u, i7 8650u, and now I suspect to see more comming from the i7 8565u (with the 25w variant maybe handling things a bit better).
I use a i3 8130u in a 2-1 laptop I don't have it anymore but before I return it I found that reducing graphic setting like internal resolution, going without ubershaders help in some games. It probably due to the integrated graphic sharing the limited tdp of the cpu\gpu. I don't know you settings though. If the laptop has a graphic card like a mx 150 for example using that might help.
Yeah, modern intel CPUs pretty much rely on their turbo implementation to get anywhere near peak performance - especially as Dolphin tends to be single core bound. Disabling turbo simply leaves performance on the table, as

If it's throttling then either the power delivery or cooling solution can't keep up. Both may be helped slightly by using throttlestop to undervolt, and ensuring there's as little load on the rest of the system as possible and start with the lowest load possible on the GPU (1xIR, no msaa, 'async' ubershaders). If it's a new machine then it's unlikely that the fans or heatsinks will be blocked by dust, so there's likely nothing easy to improve that side of things. I've heard some people have success with removing the heatsinks and using a better thermal paste, but that's quite difficult and dangerous (it's easy to damage your hardware) - but if you're comfortable doing that it may be possible. Just don't expect help with that here Smile

It might be worth seeing why it's throttling and not keeping a sustained higher performance - I believe throttlestop tells you if it was due to thermals - if not that it's likely power delivery limits (Assuming that the system isn't in any powersaving mode, and non mis-detecting the load as idle).

And a laptop with a discrete GPU likely has a beefier thermal/power delivery solution accordingly. If a mx150 uses 15-25w, then a similarly specced cooling solution would be able to cool the cpu by an extra 15-25w (same with providing the extra power) - so in an equivalently sized/specced chassis then there would be a much higher power limit for the CPU and iGPU combo, likely avoiding this problem. I think *every* portable with a discrete GPU (read: Not those big beefy 17" 'gamer'/'workstation replacement' laptops) have a shared cooling system between the CPU and discrete GPU. The real issue is underspecced cooling/power delivery - but that can be expensive, especially when trying to be thin and light at the same time.
The temperature remains in a good range, and when the fans do kick in, its usually not too loud. But yeah, it sucks that my old laptop handled Dolphin fine but my new one can't.
(01-31-2019, 01:15 PM)Oemenia Wrote: [ -> ]The temperature remains in a good range, and when the fans do kick in, its usually not too loud. But yeah, it sucks that my old laptop handled Dolphin fine but my new one can't.

I would have expected less performance from the beginning. Your new laptopĀ“s CPU is not designed for heavy duty apps like Dolphin (main reason is being ULV model, it will try to draw as little power as possible).
A little update. When trying to run less demanding games such as Sonic Heroes and Klonoa, the problem is that the CPU stays at around 1ghz and I get stuttering as a result. On the other hand Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes runs at a consistent 1.8ghz and the framerate struggles. All the while the TDP stays at around 5-10 watts and the active core counts continues to jump around.

I solved this problem in the past by simply limiting the speed of the CPU at around 2.2ghz and got consistent performance with little stuttering. I played these games perfectly fine on my older system and the new CPU is has better single-threaded performance even at 1.8ghz.

Any ideas?