Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wii Sensor Bar alternative?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

HeroKing

i know this is a longshot, as i got no clue how it really worked. but basically i got a wiimote paired, and i forgot about needing a sensor bar (seeing as i have motion+). i'm on a laptop, so getting candles is a no go, i may look into IR diodes i can stick onto the top of the screen or something. but i remembered a different alternative, specifically with the Wii U gamepad. in some weird situation i remember trying to do some Wii games using the gamepad as a screen, and the gamepad's camera doubled as a sensor bar. i have no clue how it worked, but i was curious if there was a way to get the same result using a webcam? i don't know if that would have to be a hardware issue of buying one with IR capability or any default cam can work
Cameras don't emit light, the gamepad has IR on either side of the camera afaict.
Yeah, the Wii U GamePad basically has a built-in sensor bar, which is entirely separate from the built-in camera. You can't use a webcam.

HeroKing

ok then, looks like i may have to look into either the usb sensor bar, or possibly modding my laptop. thanks for the info
Use a Dolphinbar from Mayflash, I bought one, a must to have for Dolphin users.
(01-25-2019, 08:34 AM)legluondunet Wrote: [ -> ]Use a Dolphinbar from Mayflash, I bought one, a must to have for Dolphin users.

I would not suggest the DolphinBar if you already have a working Bluetooth solution. The DolphinBar is more expensive than normal sensor bars if you're just going to use it for the IR LEDs, and it has the problem of either the IR LEDs burning out or it being impossible to use the IR LEDs when no Wii Remote is connected to its Bluetooth.
From my side I'm very happy with Dolphinbar, works very well with Dolphin on Linux.

You sync you wiimotes easily and it just works.
You can even use you dolphinbar/wiimotes with Mame to play shooter games.
I wrote a tutorial about this here:
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/3671

"it being impossible to use the IR LEDs when no Wii Remote is connected to its Bluetooth. "
I didn't understand the benefit to use only the IR LEDs without connect to its bluetooth?
(01-25-2019, 09:27 AM)legluondunet Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't understand the benefit to use only the IR LEDs without connect to its bluetooth?

If you have another Bluetooth adapter that is better than the DolphinBar, you'll want to have working IR LEDs without connecting a Wii Remote to the DolphinBar's Bluetooth. In particular, the DolphinBar has the disadvantage of not supporting Bluetooth passthrough.
If you compare:

Wiimote: 15 € on Ebay
Dolphinbar: 18 € on Amazon
= 33 €

compare to:

Infrared bar: 3 € on Gearbest
Blutetooth device: 9 €
= 12 €

you are right, the Dolphin bar solution is more expensive.
But using a Dolphinbar assures you to use a 100% supported blutetooth device for Wii gaming.
Some blutetooth devices does not support Wiimotes.
Save yourself some aggravation by getting one like this ($3.12 USD), and connecting it to your PC or TV USB port. I have this setup and could not be happier.
Pages: 1 2