Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: new computer, abysmal FPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

liamvogel

So Ive been using dolphin for 2 years now and I absolutely love it. I recently purchased a new laptop and have been very excited to use it for dolphin. in the past my old computer ran dolphin really well, never any lag or anything, and I could run any game at 100 percent no matter what resolution I set. I figured with my new high end gaming laptop, dolphin would work just as well, but to my surprise, it seems like every time I try to play something, I cant get past 60 percent or 30fps. this baffles me, since my old system had an inferior graphics card and cpu, yet it ran games super smooth. I figured my alienwares Nvidia geforce 1070 wouldc handle dolphin just fine, but after fiddling with settings based on what Ive read in the forums here, I still cant seem to get it to a playable framerate. Only thing that improved it was when I switched over to Direct3d 11, but that was causing some massive spikes in my GPU load ( like 1 percent to 99 percent the second I turned it on) so I don't think that's a sustainable solution. If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to get back to a manageable frame rate, Id really appreciate it.
yeah, that CPU listed in your profile should handle Dolphin fine.

Given that it's a laptop you probably have some power throttling going on. Make sure you're plugged in, Windows power profile is set to max performance, and create a profile for dolphin.exe in nvidia settings to make sure Dolphin runs on the nvidia GPU, set it to prefer max performance.

liamvogel

(01-17-2019, 05:40 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]yeah, that CPU listed in your profile should handle Dolphin fine.

Given that it's a laptop you probably have some power throttling going on. Make sure you're plugged in, Windows power profile is set to max performance, and create a profile for dolphin.exe in nvidia settings to make sure Dolphin runs on the nvidia GPU, set it to prefer max performance.

changing the power profile did the trick. I had originally set my performance to high in my alienware command center, but apparently the windows power settings were set to low power consumption. the second I changed it, OpenGl ran at 100 percent. Im still going to make a dolphin profile in my nvidia app, i imagine it couldnt hurt. 
Thanks for your mighty dolphin wisdom, you rock!

liamvogel

that totally fixed the problem. the moment i changed my power settings dolphin was running as smooth as butter. you rock!