Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Core i7 4790K vs Ryzen 2700X
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Currently, I am running a linux dev build of dolphin-emu on a Core i7 4790K.  The build is a HTPC and is serving more than just dolphin-emu (eg. plexmedia server, samba, and private minecraft servers).  I am going to upgrade it to a 2700x in the coming months for the extra cores to host the other applications besides dolphin.
Given that IPC is similar between the two processors, should I see much of a performance difference in dolphin-emu after the upgrade?  My guess is not much, but I thought I would ask incase I am missing something.  I don't want to be surprised.

Neither will be overclocked and actually both are undervolted to minimize heat.

I am just trying to set expectations, and get an idea of any issues or problems ahead of time so that I may mitigate them preemptively.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?
Nope, should work fine. Ryzen is the first AMD arch in ages to actually be pretty reasonable for emulation (and well, anything), so you're set.
Thanks for the response. I think my Haswell core i7 clocks a little higher on boost than the Ryzen, but overall, I gathered they were peers regarding single core IPC.
I have to revisit this. I came across a FREE Ryzen 1700 PRO. 8 cores 65W @3Ghz (boosting to 3.7Ghz)

the clockspeed is somewhat concerning coming from the 4790K@4Ghz (boosting to 4.4Ghz).

The enclosure the system will occupy is relatively constrained so I am not super interested in overclocking (frankly undervolting would be more appreciated).

I mainly don't want to see a huge drop in dolphin, in order to get those extra cores up and running doing other tasks.

More thoughts? More suggestions?
You will probably only see drops in some of the more CPU demanding titles (the Star wars rouge squadron series comes to mind), but should in general be fine. Dolphin is pretty nicely optimized. If you want to list some games you absolutely must be able to run then maybe someone with experience with those specific titles can let you know a bit more of what to expect. Some other emulators might not fair quite as well though (if you are emulating PS2 with PCSX2 for example) since there is a rather sizable drop in single threaded performance.
Revisiting again for anyone else who may have this dilemma.

Sold the 1700 Pro and the 4790k. Running very happily with 2700x. Saving the money from the sold CPUs for a new video card.