Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Low performance on newer releases
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

unknowwiiplayer

I remember playing at a constant 60 fps back when my GPU was a GTX 750Ti instread of a GTX 1060, I was using Dolphin 5.0 x64 and everything I remember was just audio delay in some rhythm games but constant FPS in Crash Nitro Kart and Mario Kart Wii.
Nowadays I still have the same processor and RAM that used that time but with the current releases I can't seem to get more than 50 FPS, I don't know why this happens, the settings are the same that I used before so I tried downloading the same release that I used long ago and... It works flawlessly.
Again, I don't know what may be causing this, my settings are the same in both versions and still, 47 FPS on Dolphin 5.0-9211 x64 and 5.0-9333 x64, and 60 FPS on Dolphin 5.0 x64.
Tried OpenGL and Dx12 same results.

Screenshots of my configs here [I don't know hot to attach it to this post so I puushed em e-e]

If anyone have any idea I can test it out.
Thanks!!
I don't see anything inherently wrong with your settings, but here are some things to try:
-Uninstall your GPU drivers, and reinstall with the latest from Nvidia's website. There could be some funny leftover stuff from the upgrade.
-In the Nvidia Control Panel, make a profile for Dolphin to Prefer Maximum performance
-Make sure the Windows Power Options is also set to Maximum performance.
You can try differetn Ubersjaders option: like Asynchronous ubersahders

or even change backen to dx/ogl because vulkan may be flawed with ubershaders (drivers, dolphin, or both issues)
This, and lower your IR. Ubershaders are taxing (even if set to Async).
a 750ti is fine for 3x IR and async ubers.

Something else is wrong.
This may not help since it is not the exact same situation and emulation is different then Native PC gaming, but this situation sounds similar to something that happened to me a long time ago.

Is is possible that your new GPU is adding extra strain on your CPU (AMD FX-6100), which is already not great for dolphin class emulation? If that is the case perhaps turning up the graphical settings will give the GPU more to to and lower the amount of requests it makes to the CPU for more information and lower the excess strain on the CPU?

This worked in native PC gaming durring the days of directX 9 being the main backend used. I thought Vulkan\Dx12 were made to specifically address this kind of situation. Also I am not quite sure how much CPU is used when increasing things like internal res, AA, and other graphical settings since I tend to play everything at native (I like the way things originally looked as much as possible). So maybe just give it a shot... best case it helps, worst case you wasted a little bit of time testing.
I'm not totally sure on that but I think our recent development versions hits a little bit harder on the CPU when compared to 5.0 stable, and AMD FX CPUs are known to not perform exceptionally well in Dolphin. I heard the FX line is easily overclockable, so I would suggest trying that if possible, to see if it changes something. If it does, then it's your CPU, if it remais the same, something else is wrong on your PC...
Oh I didn't even notice the CPU. There's your problem. You'll need a newer AMD CPU or essentially any Intel CPU if you want reasonable performance in dolphin. Case closed.