Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is there a way to change the emulated CPU clock on the fly?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Kerr

On my pc I occasionally have issues with stuttering since my computer can't keep up with the emulated CPU perfectly. It seems that these games are like "Give me 60FPS or give me death!" and never realize that they are lagging because they *should* be running fine... while my physical cpu can't run fast enough.

Lowering the emulated CPU has really helped this for the most part however... This seems to let the games know they are lagging and they switch to 45, 30, or 15fps targets as appropriate to maintain as smooth gameplay as possible...

Now the problem is: One level may be best run at 80% emulated cpu, while another may be better ran at 40%. I'm not sure why some levels are easier on my physical cpu than others buut... they are.

A simple ability to up/down the emulated cpu speed by 5% at a time or something would be awesome.
Even better would be automatically adjusting on the fly so that the target frequency changes as needed for the physical computer to keep up...

I didn't see any kind of control like this, but maybe I missed it?
Also, I am sort of thinking of dosbox in this regard which does have of the fly adjustment.
Looking at the hotkeys I didn't see any options for this, but you might be able to make a feature request.