Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Hooking up a WII remote to my PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to hook up a WII Remote to my PC
Everything I find tells me about the software aspect of this.
What I need to know is the hardware angle.
What HARDWARE to I need to hook up the WII Remote to my PC (Cables , adapters, etc, etc)
What is the procedure to do such.
Is there a single cable that goes from WII Remote to PC, or do I need to daisy chain a few things?
Thanks
The best option is bluetooth passyhrough in dolphin 5.0-910 or newer. For that you will need a bluetooth adapter that works with it and your wii remote

Here is the page on it with some adapters tht work
https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...assthrough

You might also want a wireless sensor bar or one that is usb powered so you can have pointer tracking, though you might not need it depending on yhe games you want to play.
(01-02-2019, 05:17 AM)DisneyRob Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a single cable that goes from WII Remote to PC

The Wii Remote doesn't even have any wires you could plug in to adapters to plug into your pc...
Anyways, as TKSilver said, Bluetooth passthrough is the way to go. What isn't the way to go is a USB or wireless sensor bar, they're never as good as an actual sensor bar and the Dolphinbar, which actually mostly is decent, requires a Wii Remote to be connected to it, and it doesn't support Bluetooth passthrough. It also eventually burns out due to poor design. The only good thing I can think of that you could do is figure out how to wire the power inputs on the official sensor bar to a USB adapter (it could probably share the power with a Wii Bluetooth module if you wanted to use the best possible bluetooth adapter...)
As far as the "sensor" bar is concerned it is just 2 infrared LEDs at a specific distance. The actual sensor is in the Wii remote itself. If the bar has the LEDs in the wrong place or if it uses cheap LEDs that just burn out fast, then yes they could be "worse". I guess some wireless ones could have really annoying power saving "features" that might turn off the LEDs to save power after some period of time.

Honestly back on the actual Wii days I forgot my sensor bar when bringing the Wii to a party and used tea light candles as a working substitute. They worked but were less then an ideal solution.

So yes cheap junk will break like cheap junk always breaks but a decent quality wireless or USB sensor bar is no different then the one powered by the Wii through that odd connector. As long as the lights are in the right area for the Wiimote to calibrate it's sensor off of.