Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Bar "fix"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So i just ordered my third Dolphin bar and i was wondering if anny one knows of a "fix" or if mayflash has done anny think about the IR Leds buring out? Huh Huh
And i dont want to have to buy a new one like every month or some thing like that...
There is one proper fix: Soldering resistors to it. (I'm unsure if Mayflash has fixed later hardware revisions so they have the proper resistance, but the original hardware revision sure didn't.)

There is also the firmware update from Mayflash that makes it turn off the IR LEDs when no Wii Remote is connected, but I suppose the IR LEDs still can burn out if you play a lot, so I wouldn't call it a proper fix.
IIRC the resistor for the LEDs is surface mount, while not impossible to replace, is a bit more tedious than replacing the LEDs themselves which are feed through. I can't remember if that's really the case, it's been awhile since I tore my Dolphinbar apart. I suppose you could solder a small resistor in series with the LEDs, but that solution would somewhat reduce brightness, and it would be slightly more difficult to implement than replacing the original.

@MatteusR: If you are feeling ambitious you can also replace the LEDs with better ones. My theory is that Mayflash is getting large batches of the cheapest possible LEDs that just barely meet the voltage requirement that they are feeding it. I replaced the LEDs in mine with 5mm IR LEDs rated at 1.6V peak, but to do this you need to burr holes in the casing. If you want IR LEDs that fit, you need to go with 3mm. I measured somewhere around 4.5V across the IR LEDs, so the drop across each is about 1.5V. This is something to factor in when buying replacements.

https://imgur.com/a/2Rq7s

So in short, if replacing the IR LEDs, you would want 3mm IR LEDs 1.5-1.6V max. You can go with 5mm, but they will not fit in the Dolphinbar without modification. Also, terms such as "high output" or "super bright" in their descriptions means they were designed for heavier use, assuming the description is honest of course.

Edit: Just to add, from what I've gathered from other users over the years, its never the outside lights that die, its always one of the 3 inner lights. The outer lights on each side are on separate circuits (only getting about 1.38V IIRC which is why they last longer), while the inner 3 lights are in series. So just like christmas tree lights, when one dies, all 3 go out. So with that in mind, you may NEVER have to replace the outer lights. I've replaced all 6 inner lights on my Dolphinbar over the years, and the 4 outer lights are still stock and have been burning for years. Tongue