Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How would it run?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How would games like super Mario galaxy and Metroid prime trilogy run with the MX150,i5-8250u and 8 gig of ram at 720p with 3xIR and 4xMSAA and would it be full speed 60fps?
3X IR != 720p. It´s 1080p.

Maybe it would go full speed, maybe not. SMG is quite taxing.
Thanks so if I put 2xMSAA will it be full speed
It is also going to depend on what laptop the chipset is in. Cooling and power delivery can highly effect how close to 100% performance you can get out of your CPU\GPU in a laptop form factor. Not to mention that some manufacturers build in limits if they suspect that their cooling or power delivery system can not maintain running at 100%. There are programs that can bypass those artificial limits, but generally they are put there for a reason (though I have seen some that are just there to make a cheeper option go slower as a way to not cannibalize a higher model's market).

So for laptops and small form factor prebuilt devices, unless someone owns the exact same model, it is generally faster and more accurate to just test the game out. If this is a product you are thinking about purchasing instead of one you own then maybe Googling what other owners experiences are would help a bit. Gaming results will tell you a bit about the CPU under load and a lot about the GPU under load. Video editing and 3d rendering will help more with CPU load issues.
(12-28-2018, 06:21 PM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]It is also going to depend on what laptop the chipset is in.  Cooling and power delivery can highly effect how close to 100% performance you can get out of your CPU\GPU in a laptop form factor.  Not to mention that some manufacturers build in limits if they suspect that their cooling or power delivery system can not maintain running at 100%.  There are programs that can bypass those artificial limits, but generally they are put there for a reason (though I have seen some that are just there to make a cheeper option go slower as a way to not cannibalize a higher model's market).

So for laptops and small form factor prebuilt devices, unless someone owns the exact same model, it is generally faster and more accurate to just test the game out.  If this is a product you are thinking about purchasing instead of one you own then maybe Googling what other owners experiences are would help a bit.  Gaming results will tell you a bit about the CPU under load and a lot about the GPU under load.  Video editing and 3d rendering will help more with CPU load issues.

I see... Well I'm planning on the acer aspire 5,and I hear it's rather well cooled most of the time as for the benchmarks I haven't found anyone that has the exact same model nor specs that tested out dolphin but someone has the same specs that tested Mario kart 8 on cemu and it was pretty decent and I'm sure cemu is more demanding than dolphin
(Note that his fps is doubled up for some reason I mean 120 fps is actually 60 and so on)
https://youtu.be/6To2iEWmMGw
Cemu performance is not going to equate to Dolphin performance at all. They're two different emulators with two different workloads. Even running two different games in Dolphin isn't comparable (e.g. Melee basically runs on toasters, but The Last Story is pretty heavy). If anything, Cemu lets even low-end machines run some games decently, but it's 110% not a good idea to judge purchasing decisions based on that if you're looking to run Dolphin.

Anything with an i5-8250U is a double-edged sword. If you can keep it cool, it should run pretty well. If you can't, at the worst, it drops to 1.6GHz, which is very restricting as it concerns Dolphin. My opinion about low-volt CPUs is to always assume the worst case and look at the minimum CPU speed. Anything above that is always going to be a "maybe" or "it depends", so ideally go for something with a higher minimum and disregard the maximum.
(12-29-2018, 01:04 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Cemu performance is not going to equate to Dolphin performance at all. They're two different emulators with two different workloads. Even running two different games in Dolphin isn't comparable (e.g. Melee basically runs on toasters, but The Last Story is pretty heavy). If anything, Cemu lets even low-end machines run some games decently, but it's 110% not a good idea to judge purchasing decisions based on that if you're looking to run Dolphin.

Anything with an i5-8250U is a double-edged sword. If you can keep it cool, it should run pretty well. If you can't, at the worst, it drops to 1.6GHz, which is very restricting as it concerns Dolphin. My opinion about low-volt CPUs is to always assume the worst case and look at the minimum CPU speed. Anything above that is always going to be a "maybe" or "it depends", so ideally go for something with a higher minimum and disregard the maximum.

Ok I think it’s better to be safe than sorry thanks for the help.
For what it's worth, any of the Coffee Lake mobile CPUs would do well in Dolphin. 2.2 - 2.3GHz (as a minimum) for that generation of Intel runs Dolphin quite comfortably in many situations. I don't know about SMG or MP:Trilogy specifically, but it's good enough for any game that's not a heavyweight.
(12-29-2018, 11:54 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]For what it's worth, any of the Coffee Lake mobile CPUs would do well in Dolphin. 2.2 - 2.3GHz (as a minimum) for that generation of Intel runs Dolphin quite comfortably in many situations. I don't know about SMG or MP:Trilogy specifically, but it's good enough for any game that's not a heavyweight.

Thank you for the suggestion and I think it’s best to get an hq intel chip (i5-7300hq)and a gtx 1050 paired with that it would do the job right?
That's pretty good for most games. Again, can't say for sure about SMG or MP: Trilogy. SMG tends to be both CPU and GPU intensive at times, but you should do fine. MP: Trilogy is pretty heavy, and generally you wouldn't be using mobile hardware to play it. I could be wrong (I don't have the game) but that's what I remember based on reports over the years.

The GPU only handles stuff like how high you can set the resolution without slowing down and extras like AA. The rest of the work is generally on the CPU. So you'll be able to do 4K no problem with a GTX 1050.