Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: will i be able to run metroid prime trilogy with my new pc?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

X-Rated

my current specs go as this:
8 gb ram
intel core i7-7500U @2.70 GHZ
AMD radeon r5 m430
1 terrabyte HDD
x64-based windows 10
its a laptop, btw

new pc will go as:
gigabyte auros gaming 7 x470
32 gb ram (corsair vengeance pro (2x 16)
gigabyte radeon rx vega 64
AMD ryzen 7 2700x (Noctua NH-D15 cooled)
1024 gb of space (2x gigabyte ud pro 512gb model)
corsair 1000w power supply (platinum certified)
Should be more then fine. Use Vulkan and some of the Ubershader options to take advantage of the performance you will be packing (also OpenGL and AMD graphics are not a good mix).

Depending on your case's airflow you should also be able to get a nice overclock on the 2700x, which would be a good idea for emulation. Also make sure the timings and speed of your RAM is optimal, since Ryzen likes fast RAM and it can have an appreciable difference.

Basically except from a very few edge case games, your new PC should run most GC and Wii games at high internal res and at\near full speed most of the time. Assuming that the high internal res does not cause visual issues in a game (some are more susceptible to issues stemming from high internal res then others).

X-Rated

(12-16-2018, 08:25 PM)TKSilver Wrote: [ -> ]Should be more then fine.  Use Vulkan and some of the Ubershader options to take advantage of the performance you will be packing (also OpenGL and AMD graphics are not a good mix).

Depending on your case's airflow you should also be able to get a nice overclock on the 2700x, which would be a good idea for emulation.  Also make sure the timings and speed of your RAM is optimal, since Ryzen likes fast RAM and it can have an appreciable difference.

Basically except from a very few edge case games, your new PC should run most GC and Wii games at high internal res and at\near full speed most of the time.  Assuming that the high internal res does not cause visual issues in a game (some are more susceptible to issues stemming from high internal res then others).
thanks for the feedback, and yeah. the airflow is supposed to be good, as its a corsair 750D (airflow edition). but what clock speed should i go with? should i go max, with v-sync if it affects game speed, or should should i have it off?
The 2nd gen ryzen chips generally get nearly the peak single-core clock possible just by enabling the PBO mode. Manually tuning the overclock probably won't give you much more - most gains here are in all-core loads, but as dolphin tends to be single thread limited it likely won't make much of a difference. There are opportunities to improve performance by tuning memory clocks in may cases, though.

And if by "what clock speed should i go with?" you mean the dolphin "Emulated CPU Clock Override", it's generally best to leave that disabled. That means dolphin emulated a Gamecube/WII at their 'original' hardware speed - many games don't handle different speeds here well and could crash or get other glitches. It's probably only worth tweaking on specific games (some 60fps hacks rely on it, as they modify the game code to expect faster hardware). Remember these games were written (and tested) on a single bit of hardware that all ran at the same speed - changing that may be dangerous.